Updated: January 2016
3. INFORMATION WE COLLECTTop
- Personally Identifiable Information.
- Examples of Personally Identifiable Information we may collect include name, postal address, email address, credit card number and related information, and phone number. We may also collect your date of birth, geo-location, social networking profile picture and the date of birth and date of death for the deceased person in connection with certain features of the Services. We also maintain a record of all information that you submit to us, including email and other correspondence. We may collect Personally Identifiable Information when you register to receive alerts or offerings, sponsor, access or submit information in connection with certain Services, post other content through the Services, purchase products or other services, opt-in to receive special offers and discounts from us and our selected partners or participate in other activities offered or administered by Legacy.com.
- We may also collect Personally Identifiable Information about your transactions with us and with some of our business partners. This information might include information necessary to process payments due to us from you, such as your credit card number.
- Legacy.com allows certain social media platforms to host plug-ins or widgets on the Sites which may collect certain information about those users who choose to use those plug-ins or widgets.
- We do not intentionally collect Personally Identifiable Information about children under the age of 13. Please see the section on "Children’s Privacy" below.
- Other Anonymous Information.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATIONTop
- Use of Personally Identifiable Information:
- We do not sell or share your Personally Identifiable Information with unrelated third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
- Personally Identifiable Information and other personal information you specifically provide may be used:
- to provide the Services we offer, to process transactions and billing, for identification and authentication purposes, to communicate with you concerning transactions, security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Services, to improve Services, to do something you have asked us to do, or to tell you of Services that we think may be of interest to you.
- to communicate with you regarding the Services.
- for the administration of and troubleshooting regarding the Services. Certain third parties who provide technical support for the operation of the Services (our web hosting service, for example), may need to access such information from time to time, but are not permitted to disclose such information to others.
- We may disclose Personally Identifiable Information about you under the following circumstances:
- Use of Anonymous Information:
- Certain information that we collect automatically or with electronic tools or tags (such as cookies) is used to anonymously track and measure user traffic for the Services and to enhance your experience with the Services and our business partners. For example:
- IP Addresses/Session Information. We occasionally may obtain IP addresses from users depending upon how you access the Services. IP addresses, browser, and session information may be used for various purposes, including to help administer the Services and diagnose and prevent service or other technology problems related to the Services. This information also may be used to estimate the total number of users downloading any App and browsing other Services from specific geographical areas, to help determine which users have access privileges to certain content or services that we offer, and to monitor and prevent fraud and abuse. IP addresses are not linked to Personally Identifiable Information
- Cookies. A cookie is a small amount of data that often includes an anonymous unique identifier that is sent to your browser from a website’s computers and stored on your computer’s hard drive or comparable storage media on your mobile device. You can configure your browser to accept cookies, reject them, or notify you when a cookie is set. If you reject cookies, you may not be able to use the Services that require you to sign in, or to take full advantage of all our offerings. Cookies may involve the transmission of information either directly to us or to another party we authorize to collect information on our behalf. We use our own cookies to transmit information for a number of purposes, including to:
- require you to re-enter your password after a certain period of time has elapsed to protect you against others accessing your account contents;
- keep track of preferences you specify while you are using the Services;
- estimate and report our total audience size and traffic;
- conduct research to improve the content and Services.
- Page Visit Data. We may record information about certain pages that you visit on our site (e.g. specific obituaries) in order to recall that data when you visit one of our partners’ sites. For example, we may record the name and address of the funeral home associated with an obituary to facilitate a flower order.
- We may share anonymous information aggregated to measure the number of App downloads, number of visits, average time spent on the Services websites, pages viewed, etc. with our partners, advertisers and others.
5. PRIVACY ALERT: YOUR POSTINGS GENERALLY ARE ACCESSIBLE TO THE PUBLICTop
- Your own use of the Services may disclose personal information or Personally Identifiable Information to the public. For example:
- Submissions and other postings to our Services are available for viewing by all our visitors unless the sponsor or host of a Service selects a privacy setting that restricts public access. Please remember that any information disclosed on a non-restricted Service becomes public information and may be collected and used by others without our knowledge. You therefore should exercise caution when disclosing any personal information or Personally Identifiable Information in these forums.
- When you post a message to the Services via message board, blog, or other public forum available through the Services, your user ID or alias that you are posting under may be visible to other users, and you have the ability to post a message that may include personal information.
6. CHILDREN’S PRIVACYTop
- Legacy.com, Inc. does not intentionally collect from or maintain Personally Identifiable Information of children under the age of 13, nor do we offer any content targeted to such children.
- In the event that Legacy.com, Inc. becomes aware that a user of the Services is under the age of 13, the following additional privacy terms and notices apply:
- Prior to collecting any Personally Identifiable Information about a child that Legacy.com, Inc. has become aware is under the age of 13, Legacy.com, Inc. will make reasonable efforts to contact the child’s parent, to inform the parent about the types of information Legacy.com, Inc. will collect, how it will be used, and under what circumstances it will be disclosed, and to obtain consent from the child’s parent to collection and use of such information.
- Although Legacy.com, Inc. will apply these children’s privacy terms whenever it becomes aware that a user who submits Personally Identifiable Information is less than 13 years old, no method is foolproof. Legacy.com, Inc. strongly encourages parents and guardians to supervise their children’s online activities and consider using parental control tools available from online services and software manufacturers to help provide a child-friendly online environment. These tools also can prevent children from disclosing online their name, address, and other personal information without parental permission.
- Personally Identifiable Information collected from children may include any of the information defined above as Personally Identifiable Information with respect to general users of the Services and may be used by Legacy.com, Inc. for the same purposes. Except as necessary to process a child’s requests or orders placed with advertisers or merchants featured through the Services, Legacy.com, Inc. does not rent, sell, barter or give away any lists containing a child’s Personally Identifiable Information for use by any outside company.
- A child’s parent or legal guardian may request Legacy.com, Inc. to provide a description of the Personally Identifiable Information that Legacy.com, Inc. has collected from the child, as well as instruct Legacy.com, Inc. to cease further use, maintenance and collection of Personally Identifiable Information from the child.
- If a child voluntarily discloses his or her name, email address or other personally-identifying information on chat areas, bulletin boards or other forums or public posting areas, such disclosures may result in unsolicited messages from other parties.
8. SECURITY MEASURESTop
The security and confidentiality of your Personally Identifiable Information is extremely important to us. We have implemented technical, administrative, and physical security measures to protect guest information from unauthorized access and improper use. From time to time, we review our security procedures in order to consider appropriate new technology and methods. Please be aware though that, despite our best efforts, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable, and no data transmissions over the web can be guaranteed 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk.
9. CORRECTING OR UPDATING INFORMATIONTop
You may modify and correct Personally Identifiable Information provided directly to Legacy.com, Inc. in connection with the Services, if necessary. Legacy.com, Inc. offers users the following options for updating information:
- Send an email to us at Contact Us; or
- Send a letter to us via postal mail to the following address:Legacy.com, Inc., 820 Davis Street Suite 210, Evanston, IL 60201 Attention: Operations
10. OPT-OUT PROCEDURESTop
You may opt out of receiving future mailings or other information from Legacy.com, Inc. If the mailing does not have an email cancellation form, send an email to Contact Us detailing the type of information that you no longer wish to receive.
11. THIRD PARTY ADVERTISING AND AD DELIVERYTop
- Legacy.com works with third parties, including, but not limited to DoubleClick and ADTECH US, Inc. (collectively, the "Ad Delivery Parties:"), for the purpose of advertisement delivery on the Services including online behavioral advertising (“OBA”) and multi-site advertising. Information collected about a consumer’s visits to the Services, including, but not limited to, certain information from your Web browser, your IP address and your email, may be used by third parties, including the Ad Delivery Parties, in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. These Ad Delivery Parties retain data collected and used for these activities only as long as necessary to fulfill a legitimate Legacy.com business need, or as required by law.
- Legacy.com shall obtain your prior express consent (opt-in) before using any of your “sensitive consumer information” as that term is defined in the NAI Principles.
- Legacy.com may also share your social media identification and account information with the corresponding social media service to allow the service to provide you with advertisements about goods and services of interest to you.
13. ADDITIONAL INFORMATIONTop
Your California Privacy Rights
(As provided by California Civil Code Section 1798.83) Top
A California resident who has provided personal information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship for personal, family, or household purposes ("California customer") is entitled to request information about whether the business has disclosed personal information to any third parties for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes.
California customers may request further information about our compliance with this law by emailing Contact Us.