Notable Deaths ›
Michael Carroll / EyeEm / Getty Images
Published: 2 months ago
Five people died, and two were wounded, after a gunman opened fire Thursday, June 28, at the newsroom of the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Md., according to multiple news sources, including the Capital Gazette itself.
Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said on Twitter that he was, “absolutely devastated to learn of this tragedy in Annapolis.”
We invite you to share condolences for the victims in our Guest Book.
Profiles of the victims have been published by the Capital Gazette. They are:
• Gerald Fischman, 61, editorial page editor
• Rob Hiaasen, 59, assistant editor and columnist
• John McNamara, 56, staff writer
• Rebecca Smith, 34, sales assistant
• Wendi Winters, 65, community correspondent
“Our hearts are forever broken. Gerald, Rob, Wendi, John and Rebecca will never be forgotten,” Trif Alatzas, Publisher of the Baltimore Sun Media Group, said in a statement. “They were not only our colleagues but also our friends. Their loved ones and all those affected by this terrible tragedy will be our focus in the coming days as we all try to process this senseless tragedy.”
Additional coverage from the Capital Gazette:
• ‘I don’t know what else to do’: Grieving Capital Gazette journalists cover the massacre of their own newsroom
• Capital Gazette publisher: ‘We will honor our colleagues’ memories by continuing our mission’
• Work by Rob Hiaasen, Capital Gazette shooting victim
• Work by John McNamara, Capital Gazette shooting victim
• Work by Wendi Winters, Capital Gazette shooting victim
We invite you to share condolences for the victims of the Capital Gazette shooting in our Guest Book.
You may also want to read: