Cpl. Francisco Gomez, 44, was originally from Edmonton, but had only been based out of Canadian Forces Base Edmonton - western Canada's most main army base - for about a year. Capt. Mike Pattle, who spoke on behalf of the Gomez family, said they had learned of the attack on a convoy outside Kandahar City that claimed Gomez's life Saturday morning. Gathered at a home in Edmonton, the soldier's family pointed media inquiries to the military and did not have any plans to comment on the weekend. Gomez was single and did not have any children. He was part of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry's tow company, responsible for driving armoured vehicles. Pattle could not say how long the armoured ambulance driver had been in the Canadian Armed Forces, but before being stationed in Edmonton and sent to Afghanistan, Gomez was stationed at Canadian Forces Base Shilo in Manitoba. Department of National Defence officials could not say when Gomez was sent to Afghanistan or when he was expected to return home. "Like every other soldier, he had a job to do," said Pattle. It is not yet known when Gomez's body will be returned to Canada, or what kind of memorial services will be planned.