Music has the power to bring us to a special time and place. A song can remind us of a first crush, our first weeks in college, or driving in the car to get ice cream. It also, frequently, reminds us of Dad. For so many fathers, sharing their favorite songs is one of the big ways they communicate their feelings to their families. That's why musical memories of Dad are some of the fondest memories that stick with us throughout our lives—even after our fathers have passed away. Regularly, adult children mourning their fathers' loss will write about their dads' favorite songs in their obituaries and in the tribute notes they leave in their online guestbooks. What songs, exactly, have our dads stuck in our brains? A search through Legacy's archive of death notices turned up a wide span of great tunes ranging from Frank Sinatra to Johnny Cash. Here are a few of the most memorable.
Dad's Favorite Songs
Dad driving 24 hours ... playing his favorite songs
- From the obituary for Ron Reid
How can we pay tribute to the years of love and support he gave us?
- From the obituary for Johannes Zonneveld
He died... surrounded by family and listening to his favorite song.
- From the obituary for Mike Perazzo
Forever in my heart. Love you, Dad!!!!
- Guest Book tribute to George Arbeeny
His favorite song was 'Don't Worry, Be Happy,' and he showed that same spirit every day.
- From the obituary for Larry Calufetti
Music was his passion, with a never-give-up attitude...
- From the obituary for Frank Gonzalez Sr.
Dad is once again quietly singing his favorite song to our Mom.
- From the Obituary for Margaret LeGuilloux
Farewell Dad—you truly loved life...
- From the obituary for Charles Snyder
He was always encouraging and helping.
- From the obituary for Bill Grantham
He often said... 'If the good Lord took me now, I'd die a happy man.'
- From the obituary of John Fanelli