Lehmann, Delores Dolores Lehmann was born November 14, 1928 in Oak Park, Illinois, the daughter of Dorothy and Elmer Schumacher. Dolores died at home peacefully in her sleep near midnight on the 7th of May. Dolores was preceded in death by her parents and her only sibling, Harold. She is survived by her husband Elroy, daughters Deborah and Melissa and seven grandchildren: Paul, Eleanor, Samantha, Rex, Casey, Regan and Karl. The Lehmann family will receive friends on Wednesday the 22nd of May 2013 from 16:00 to 19:00 hours at the Restland Funeral Home at 13005 Greenville Ave, Dallas, Texas (phone 972-238-7111). A Memorial Service will be celebrated at 10:30 on Thursday, May 23, 2013 at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 4000 Midway Road (phone 972-447-9887). In lieu of flowers, please make a memorial gift to the Scholarship Fund of the Prince of Peace Christian School, (phone 972-447-0532). Dolores' higher education started at Morton Junior College in Cicero, Illinois. After a couple of years at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, she transferred to the University of Wisconsin in Madison where, she met future husband Elroy working at her dormitory waiting on tables. Dolores received a BA degree in Journalism from U of W in January 1951. Dolores & Elroy married in Elm Grove, Wisconsin on the 8th of September in 1951. In June of 1952 Elroy completed his graduate studies and that fall they moved to Middletown, Connecticut where Elroy was an Assistant Professor of Geology at Wesleyan University. Early in their marriage Dolores discovered two things she cherished almost as much as her family - art and foreign cultures. In 1958 Elroy's Fulbright Professorship at the University of Karachi in Pakistan was the start of their life-long exploration and discovery of foreign people and their culture. Residences in Libya, Egypt and Argentina followed during the years from 1959 to 1990. During these years Dolores accumulated a large collection of ethnic materials, especially that of the Bedouin women of the Sahara. In Karachi Dolores discovered she loved teaching. In 1965 they returned to the states(Dallas) on assignment for Mobil Oil and Dolores took advantage of the opportunity to get a BA & MA in Education. Her Masters studies at SMU prepared her to work in Special Education for the learning disabled in Richardson, Chappaqua, NY and Cairo. They returned to Dallas where Elroy retired in 1985 and Dolores discovered her interest and artistic abilities in creative art-metal work. In her home studio Dolores designed and made a wide variety of art objects. These were shown and sold at Art Shows throughout the U.S from 1990 until 2005 when poor health compelled Dolores to stop her art work. During the early 1980s she was one of the founders of the International Women's Club of Dallas. Whenever she was resident in Dallas she was an active member of the Dallas Geological & Geophysical Women's Auxiliary, especially the Garden Club. Her interest in community was evidenced by her active membership in the Bentwood Republican Women's Club of Dallas of which she was President for several years. Throughout the years Dolores lived in Dallas she was an active member of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church. She especially enjoyed caring for the large assortment of potted plants throughout the sanctuary and offices as well as being involved in the POP Care Ministry to the community.
Published in Dallas Morning News from May 11 to May 18, 2013