Ruth C. Tomlinson, age 89 of Ankeny, Iowa died and went to be with her Lord on December 29, 2013. She was at home under hospice care with her family at her bedside. A Memorial Service will be held at the Ankeny Presbyterian Church on Thursday, January 2 at 11:00 a.m. with visitation at 10:00 a.m. Ruth was born in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan on March 19, 1924 to Lena and J. Paul Chandler. Her elementary and secondary education was at the Soo schools. She then attended Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan for one year and then transferred to the University of Michigan for her B.A. degree. While in Ann Arbor she also worked as a research assistant for the Bureau of Business Research at the University and continued there for five years. She returned to the Soo and was assistant to the Registrar at the Branch of Michigan University of Engineering and Mining.
Following several years there, she moved to Greencastle, Indiana and served as Assistant Registrar of DePauw University. That ended when she and Russell Tomlinson were married on August 15, 1951. There were several residences following when Russ, as a pastor, accepted calls in Wisconsin, Illinois and Nebraska. While in Nebraska Ruth served as treasurer of Homestead Presbytery. In 1992 they moved to Ankeny where they have resided since. Ruth volunteered as church secretaries, at several hospitals and nursing homes and at the Lincoln zoo. Ruth, together with Russ, was the supporter of numerous charitable organizations. She was a member of the Ankeny Presbyterian Church and served as elder and deacon both in Ankeny and in Nebraska.
Ruth is survived by her husband Russell of Ankeny, her daughter Joan (Mike) Reich of Ankeny, her daughter Susan of Ankeny, and her son Paul of Cadillac Michigan. She had 7 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. Memorials may be given to the Ankeny Presbyterian Church mission program or to the Unity Point Hospice.
Online at www.MemorialServicesOfIowa.com
Ankeny Memorial Services of Iowa
4208 N. Ankeny Blvd Ankeny, IA 50023
Published in Des Moines Register on Jan. 1, 2014