More Obituaries for Virginia Whiteacre
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Virginia Whiteacre

Obituary Condolences

Virginia Whiteacre Obituary
Virginia (Bunny) Whitacre Resident of Walnut Creek Virginia "Bunny" Whitacre age 85, passed away peacefully Friday, December 21 in the comfort of her home surrounded by family after a long illness. She is survived by her loving sons Jeff, Scott, and Craig; grandchildren Daniel, Annie, Kate, Claire, James, and David Whitacre. Her brother-in-law, RADM Philip A. Whitacre, also survives her. Bunny was born and raised in Hollywood, CA, attended Hollywood High School, then onto the University of California at Los Angeles where she earned a Bachelor of Science in Business Education. At UCLA, she joined the Kappa Delta sorority and was the Chapter President her senior year. The bonds of friendship she developed there remained throughout her life. Many of her closest friends were sorority sisters from college. UCLA was where she met her future husband Jim on a pledge ditch trip. While they met during their freshman years, it took Jim a few years to follow through and finally ask her out. Bunny was an avid cook, always trying new dishes and different types of food. She exposed her boys to a broad variety of cuisines that served to broaden their palettes. Over the years, Bunny enjoyed taking cooking classes and belonged to several cooking clubs where friends would get together and prepare dishes for one another. Her love of cooking was passed along to her sons, as each of them is very comfortable in the kitchen. Early in her career she taught typing, shorthand, and other business classes at night school and summer school throughout the Bay Area. After her boys were out of elementary school, she began teaching full-time at Del Valle High School in Walnut Creek, CA. Many of her students remained friends over the years and she enjoyed following their careers and families. When Del Valle closed, she transferred to Las Lomas High School, the school were her boys attended. At both schools Bunny was active in many social committees. She seemed to always be planning, organizing, or hosting parties. One of the more memorable parties she and Jim hosted was the PG&E Land Department party. This annual get-together of current and past members of the Land Department of Pacific Gas and Electric's San Francisco office was a very popular summer event at their Walnut Creek home. Bunny and Jim held the party for nearly 20 years before passing the baton to others to carry on the tradition. As a high school typing and business teacher, Bunny taught each of her sons how to type. Little did she know that she would be laying the groundwork for typing/keyboarding/compu-ter skills that would serve them well in business. After retiring from teaching, she served as a volunteer at Kaiser Permanente's Oakland Medical Center, the same facility that her daughter-in-law Audrey worked as an Assistant Director of Nursing. Kaiser Permanente held a special place in her heart because while working there as a volunteer, she received the word that her first grandchild was born. After many years of retirement in Walnut Creek, Bunny and Jim moved to Raleigh, North Carolina to continue their retirement. During these years, they traveled throughout the country and around the world, always spending a great deal of time with children and grandchildren. Elderhostels, European river cruises, many Caribbean cruises, and three Disney cruises were among their favorites. The great love she had for her grandchildren was evidenced by the amount of time they all spent together. A preferred vacation destination was North Myrtle Beach, where Jim and Bunny hosted children and grandchildren for their annual summer beach trip. Bunny often commented that both she and Jim took a great deal of enjoyment simply watching their grandchildren spend precious time together. After giving up driving the past year, she got a kick out of being chauffeured around town by her eldest grandchildren. Several years ago when Jim was battling cancer, Bunny was his tireless caregiver. A good majority of her time was spent shuttling him to his many doctors for appointments and caring for him at home. After receiving a pacemaker a year ago, Bunny had a rough year with multiple health challenges. During the summer, she moved from her two-bedroom condo into a one-bedroom apartment in the main building at the Magnolia Glen Retirement Community when extended walking became difficult. Bunny will always be known and thought of most fondly by her many friends for being a genuinely nice and caring person, never an ill word for anyone. She brought much love, joy, and friendship to everybody that was fortunate to know her. A viewing will be held Wednesday, December 26 form 6:00 to 8:00 pm at the Brown-Wynne Funeral Home in Raleigh. Funeral services will be held 1:00 pm Thursday, December 27 at the Brown-Wynne Funeral Home in Raleigh, followed by a gravesite service at Raleigh Memorial Park where she will be buried next to her husband in the veteran's section. In the Spring, the family will hold a memorial service and celebration of her life in the San Francisco Bay Area. Online condolences may be sent to brownwynne.com.
Published in East Bay Times on Dec. 27, 2012
Read More