Charles W. Fant, Jr.
Charles William Fant, Jr. left this life to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Saturday, December 7, 2013.
He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Betty Byrd Fant; a sister, Dorothy Buice; a daughter, Betsy Jones (Greg) and a son, Charles (Jill); their grandchildren, Chase Jones (Colleen), Sara Whitfield (Adam), Chas Fant (Amy), Bethany Moore (Nate); and two great-grandchildren, Callan Jones and Stafford Whitfield. He is predeceased by his brother, Reese.
Mr. Fant was born in Anderson January 19, 1926, the son of Charles and Dorothy Bell Fant. He graduated from Anderson Boys High School in 1943, served in the US Navy during WWII, and then completed Clemson College with a degree in Architecture in 1949. He joined his father's architecture firm, Casey & Fant, which later became Fant & Sons when Charlie's brother Reese joined them in practice. Upon their father's death in 1955, the firm became Fant & Fant and was the oldest family-owned architecture firm in South Carolina.
Mr. Fant was very active in the Anderson community. He was a member of the Anderson Rotary Club and served as its President in 1962-63 and was named an Honorary Paul Harris Fellow. He also served as a member of the board of directors of the Anderson Hospital, the Anderson YMCA, the Anderson Chamber of Commerce, the Anderson United Way, the Salvation Army and the Anderson Library.
Mr. Fant had a special place in his heart for the Connie Maxwell Children's Home and served on its board for many years. Anderson College was also a special place for the Fant family, probably because his mother, Dorothy Bell Fant, taught there when she first came to Anderson. Mr. Fant's uncle Joe Casey was the architect of the original buildings on the campus and Fant & Fant subsequently designed many of the buildings on campus. Mr. Fant was a member of the Anderson College Advisory Board, serving as President in 1978.
Mr. Fant was a member of the Board of Directors of Perpetual Federal beginning in 1970 and served as Board Chairman from 1990 to 1995.
A life-long member of First Baptist Church, he served as a Deacon and Sunday School teacher, but probably his most notable achievement was the refurbishment of the old Wilmary Apartment Building and his work in establishing the Church's ministry of low-cost housing for the less fortunate.
Even after he retired from his architecture practice, he was a volunteer for Anderson Meals-On-Wheels and served as a tutor for the Anderson Literacy Association.
The family will receive friends at the home at 2702 Bellview Road on Monday evening from 4 PM to 6 PM. A Memorial Service will be held at First Baptist Church Tuesday at noon. Internment will be private.
The family requests no flowers. Memorials can be made to The Wilmary Housing Ministry, Anderson University, or New Life Ministries at Concord Baptist Church.
Sullivan-King Mortuary & Crematory
Sullivan-King Mortuary and Crematory - Northeast Chapel
3205 North Highway 81 Anderson, SC 29621
Published in The Greenville News on Dec. 9, 2013