The Venerable Jordan Brown Peck Jr., beloved husband, father, and brother, passed into eternal life on Good Friday, March 29, 2013, with family members by his side. Mr. Peck was born on Nov. 8, 1929, in Miami and was the oldest son of longtime Coral Gables residents Jordan B. and Virginia F. Peck. He attended Coral Gables Elementary and Ponce De Leon High School and was graduated from Sewanee Military Academy in Sewanee, Tenn. He graduated from Vanderbilt University, where he was a member of the Sigma Chi fraternity, in 1951 and served in the United States Marine Corps during the Korean War period. He later attended the University of Florida law school and served in the Marine Corps Reserve Staff Judge Advocate Corps. He attended Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria, Va., and Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkley, Calif., and ordained an Episcopal priest in 1963. In 1964, he founded St. Paul's in the Pines Church in Fayetteville, N.C., and in 1966 the family moved to Guam, where he was Vicar and Headmaster for St. John the Divine Church and School. He also served as the Archdeacon of Micronesia and as a Chaplain in the United States Naval Reserve. A highlight of his time there was serving as a host for the Papal visit by Pope John Paul II in 1981. Jordan loved traveling and spending time with family and friends. He lived his last four years under the care of his daughter in Jupiter, Fla. He was married to the late Dr. Maryly Van Leer Peck and is survived by their children, Jordan Brown Peck III of Jupiter, Blake Van Leer Peck of Alexandria, Va., James Tarleton Van Leer Peck of Clarksburg, Md., and Virginia Ellaine Peck of Palm Beach Gardens; his brother, James H. Peck II of Coral Gables, and sisters, Virginia Peck Borden of Kendall and Elizabeth Peck of Coral Gables; and 9 grandchildren. A memorial service to celebrate his life will be at 1 p.m. on Sunday, April 14, at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 3395 Burns Road, Palm Beach Gardens, 33410 with a reception to follow. Donations in lieu of flowers are requested to be directed to St. Mark's Episcopal Church.
Published in Miami Herald on Apr. 7, 2013