Weil, Andrew L. "Andy"
The Guest Book is expired.
Jul. 19, 1920 - Aug. 30, 2013
Andrew Weil (Andy), 93, of Venice, FL previously of Pittsburgh, PA, passed away August 30, 2013 with his son Peter by his side. He was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on July 19, 1920 to Ferdinand Weil of Pittsburgh and Allene Guthman of Macon, Ga. He married Margaret G. Thompson in 1949 shortly after graduating from law school. Together they raised two children Wendy T. Weil and Peter A. Weil. Andy leaves his wife Peggy, son Peter and is preceded in death by his daughter Wendy and his brother Dick. Andy was blessed with four grandchildren Hannah Weil, Kate Weil, Thomas Lee and Christopher Lee.
Andy and Peggy began wintering in Florida in 1996. They became permanent residents of Florida after selling their historic farmhouse in Pittsburgh in 2008. He will be remembered as a devoted husband, loving father and respected attorney. Andy loved tennis, golf, sailing, and skiing. In recent years, he was passionate about ballroom dancing which he shared with his dance partner and companion Sharon Lawson.
Andrew attended Shadyside Academy and Phillips Exeter Academy graduating from Princeton University, cum laude, in 1943. He graduated from the University of Pittsburgh school of Law in 1948 where he was on the law review.
From 1943 until 1946 Andrew was in the United States Army. He was a first lieutenant and a paratrooper with the 82nd Airborne Division in Europe, where he served as an aid to General March and as an assistant operations officer. He participated in campaigns for Normandie, Holland, Battle of the Bulge, Rhine Crossing and the occupation of Berlin. He was awarded the Purple Heart, presidential unit citation, Croix de Guerre (France), Belgian Fouragere, Order of William (Holland). He remained in the Army reserve, attended the army command and General staff College and retired as Lt. Colonel.
Andrew was admitted to the practice of law in Pennsylvania in 1949 and appeared before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, United States Court of appeals and the United States Supreme Court. Andrew was a member of the Allegheny County and Pennsylvania Bar Association's in the American Council Association where he was president in 1982 and 1983. He was named by Who's Who in the East and Who's Who in American law.
Andrew was a third generation lawyer. His grandfather, A. Leo Weil was a noted trial attorney, reformer and civic leader, the A. Leo Weil School bearing his name. His father was Ferdinand T. Weil, with whom Andrew started the practice of law in 1949. In 1973 he became a partner of Cleveland, Hurt and Weil, and from 1979 until 2001, when he partially retired, he served as counsel to the firm of Rose, Schmidt, Hasely and DiSalle.
Andrew had a broad experience in the general practice of law and as a trial attorney. As solicitor for O'Hara Township for 10 years, Andrew was instrumental in acquiring the property on Fox Chapel Road from the US government where the O'Hara Township municipal building and squall Valley Park is located, and was intimately involved in the development of the RIDC industrial park. He was also instrumental in founding the Community Swimming Club in O'Hara Township. He was a life member of the Pittsburgh Athletic Association and had been a member of the Fox Chapel Racket Club and Harvard, Yale Princeton club.
One of Andrew's proudest accomplishments was the acquisition and restoration of a 200-year-old farmhouse, a part of which had once been a log cabin built by James Powers, the first settler in O'Hara Township, which is now designated a historic landmark.
Andrew wished not to have a formal service. He asked to have his ashes spread amongst his most favorite places including the Waterford Golf Course, Seven Springs Ski Resort where he met his wife, and Venice Jetty where he watched many a sunset with friends and family. Arrangements are by Gulf Coast Cremations.
Published in Herald Tribune from Sept. 5 to Sept. 6, 2013