Barnett, The Rev. Edward L. Ed was raised in Moline, Ill., by parents who were both school teachers. He graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in Mechinical Engineering in 1946 and worked for several large manufacturing companies until he felt called to the minsitry. He attended Seabury Western in Evanston, Ill., where he received a Master's Degree in Theology and was ordained an Episcopal Priest in 1959. He came to Wichita in 1960 as the Associate Rector at St. James Episcopal Church. He left St. James in 1964, to lead the Cantebury House at Wichita State University and to be the Rector at St. Mathias in West Wichita. In the summer of 1964, he started St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in South Wichita as a Mission church, which became a recognized Episopal Church in 1966. A divorce caused Ed to move to Minneapolis, Minn., to become a bi-vocational priest. He combined management consulting, teaching Industrial Engineering at the University of Minnesota, and ministry in many Episcopal churches in the Minneapolis area. He approached every new challenge with gusto and determination. He had a joyful spirit, a strong faith and a clarity of vision that inspired others, especially as he prepared to let go of earthly life. Ed is survived by his wife, Diane; six sons, Mac (Susan) of Wichita, Bob (Mary) of Lawrence, Kan., Dick (Canice) of Akron, Ohio, David (Cindy) of Littleton, Colo., Andy of New Lebanon, N.Y., and Mike (Sara) of Minneapolis, Minn.; 9 grandchildren; and 8 great-grandchildren. A memorial service was held Feb. 22, 2014. Ed donated his body to the medical school at the University of Minnesota.
Published in The Wichita Eagle on Mar. 16, 2014