OLGA N. NELSON VALPARAISO, IN Olga (nee Nuland) Nelson was born in Deerfield, WI on February 28, 1926 to Staale Frederick and Bertha Sandine (nee Gyland) Nuland. Olga died on May 27, 2014 at Avalon Springs Care Facility in Valparaiso, IN. Olga had an older sister, Karen (Orville) Larson and a younger brother, Staale Bertram Nuland. Olga was baptized at St. Paul Liberty Lutheran Church in Deerfield, WI. Her father died when she was five months old, and her mother, with two small children and expecting another, returned to her parents' farm. The Gylands and Nulands were large families and Olga enjoyed the experience of growing up with several aunts and uncles, and many cousins who lived near by, and who often visited their grandparents, Ole and Karen Gyland. Olga especially enjoyed playing with her paper dolls, and fishing with her uncles. Olga was confirmed at West Koshkonong Lutheran Church in Stoughton, WI. Her family moved into town after her grandparents did so she and Karen could attend Stoughton High School. She graduated in 1943 and found work in Chicago during WWII counting ration books, a job she did not like, but motivated her desire for a college degree. She returned to Stoughton when the war ended and commuted to the University of Wisconsin -Madison where she was one of just a few women to earn a degree in accounting. Olga moved back to Chicago and shared an apartment overlooking Humboldt Park with her Aunt Clara and sister, Karen. She loved dancing and was an active member of the Norwegian dance group called Leikarringen Heimburg. She worked as the sole accountant for Blommer's Chocolate factory in Chicago from 1950 to 1959. Olga was introduced to Harold C. Nelson through the Sons of Norway. He liked her legs. They were married in a small wedding ceremony at First Lutheran Church in Chicago on Valentine's Day, 1959. Together Harold and Olga raised five children: twins Eric and Carla, David, Chris and Peter. Olga was active in PTA, the American Lutheran Church Women (ALCW) and Trinity Lutheran Church (Laramie & Hirsch in Chicago). She served on many church committees at both local and synod level. Olga sang in choir, and participated in the Trinity and later Faith Players, theatre groups that presented plays annually. After the children grew, Olga returned to the work force and served as church secretary at Trinity until it closed. Olga, a very sharp lady, always enjoyed working crosswords puzzles (in ink) and researching family genealogy. She translated family history from Norwegian into English. She rarely missed one of her children's ball games, track meets, or musical programs, and loved bragging about her children and grandchildren. In 2000, Harold and Olga moved from the house where they raised their family on Rice Street to Naperville, IL and later to Valparaiso, IN. They were active members in turn of Minnekirken (Logan Square), St. Timothy (Naperville), and Christ (Valparaiso) Lutheran Churches. Olga was preceded in death by her husband Harold, who passed away recently in April 2014. Survivors include children: Eric (Linda) Nelson of Valparaiso, IN, Carla Nelson and Kevin Jensen of Alcester, SD, David Nelson of Valparaiso, Chris (Suzanne) Nelson of Atlanta, GA and Peter (Debora) Nelson of Spanish Fort, AL; grandchildren Jennifer (Tom) Aliff, Melissa (Jim) Campbell, Kevin (Megan) Jordan, Mia and Renee Goulding, Zachary, Nicholas and Natalie Nelson, Samuel and Kendra Jensen, seven great grandchildren and nephews Ken (Kathy) Larson and Steve (Mary Ann) Larson. Friends may call on Monday June 2, 2014 from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. at Christ Lutheran Church, 2610 N. Campbell St., Valparaiso IN with an 11:00 a.m. funeral service with Pastors Tim Knauff and Erica Gibson-Even officiating. Burial services will follow on Tuesday June 3, 2014 at the West Koshkonong Lutheran Church Cemetery, Stoughton, WI. In lieu of flowers, please give memorials to the homeless ministry at Christ Lutheran Church (New Creation), Valparaiso IN. Arrangements by Dykes Funeral Home, Inc. (219) 462-3125.
Dykes Funeral Home, Inc.
2305 North Campbell Street
Valparaiso, IN 46385
Published in The Times on May 30, 2014