NicholsonMay 24, 1919 - March 8, 2014 EDMOND J. Doyal Nicholson died on March 8, 2014. He was born May 24, 1919, in Hinton, Oklahoma, to John H. & Artie B. Nicholson. In 1923, the family moved to Oklahoma City. He attended Classen High School and the University of Oklahoma. Following his service as a captain in the U.S. Army Panama Construction Agency of the U.S. Corps of Engineers, Panama Canal Zone, during World War II, he and his wife, Bettie, lived in Edmond, where he owned and operated Nicholson Florist and Nursery. Recalled to service during the Korean War, he served in Tokyo, Japan, with the Japan Construction Agency of the U.S. Corps of Engineers. Returning to Edmond, he founded the Nicholson Real Estate & Development Company, which he owned and operated until he retired in 1985. He was a founding director of the American Bank & Trust of Edmond (now the Kirkpatrick Bank) and was a member of the Edmond Rotary Club for 20 years. He served as chairman of the first Edmond Planning Commission. He was also a member of St. Mary's Episcopal Church for 68 years. He was proud to be a lifelong Oklahoma Sooner football fan and 60-year season ticket holder and enjoyed doing metal work sculpture and drawing. He was preceded in death by his parents; brother, Cline L. Nicholson; and two sisters, Lois N. Setzer and Vera Hahn. He is survived by his wife of 70 years, Bettie L. Nicholson; one son, John Nicholson and his wife Jill, of Chicago, Illinois; two daughters, Nancy Nicholson and Jane Nicholson, both of Mustang, Oklahoma; two grandsons: John D. Nicholson, III and wife Dr. Maribeth Nicholson, of Nashville, Tennessee; and Jeffrey D. Nicholson, of Dallas, Texas; and two great-grandchildren, James Nicholson and Levi Nicholson. The family wishes to express its thanks to the staff at Integris Hospice House in Oklahoma City. Services will be held on March 13, 2014, at St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Edmond at 6:30 p.m. If you desire to make a memorial contribution, these may be made to the
The Guest Book is expired.
Published in The Oklahoman on Mar. 12, 2014