More Obituaries for Betty Peth
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Betty Peth

Obituary Condolences

Chillicothe - Betty Peth, 99, of Seattle, Wash., formerly of Chillicothe, died Tuesday, April 23, 2013, in Seattle.

Betty was born in Fairbanks, Alaska, as Betty Boyer. Her father was a state marshal and postmaster in Alaska and they lived in several towns, including Fairbanks, Cordova and Kodiak.

Since the schools in Alaska weren't that good at the time, Betty was sent to Los Angeles to live with her aunt and attend high school. After graduation, she spent one year at UCLA. She then moved to Seattle and attended the University of Washington, where she majored in music with a minor in education.

When Betty was 20 she was married to James Jones, who worked for the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey organization, now known as NOAA. Her husband was assigned to several coastal assignments from Texas to Louisiana and then Baltimore. James passed away just before World War II.

Betty returned to Seattle with her two boys and lived with her mother, sister and an aunt. She got a job with the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey in Seattle, and by the end of the war she was an engineering draftsman, making charts and maps for the government.

After the war, Betty met Jack Zinser, a single naval officer with two daughters. They decided to marry and combined their families. They lived most of their married life in Illinois, where the children went to high school and college. They ended up in California after 28 years, where Jack died.

Betty finished her education in Fullerton, Calif. She received a teaching degree when she was a grandmother. Betty taught second and third grade in Fullerton for 12 years.

While in California, an old friend, Ken Peth, showed up with the news that his wife, a dear sorority sister from the U of W days, had been killed in an accident in England. Ken began to commute regularly from Seattle to LA to see Betty, and after nine months he finally convinced Betty to marry him. They returned to Seattle, where Betty moved into the red-brick house with the big lawn that is across the street from the Broadmoor entrance.

Betty was an avid gardener and bridge player. She has several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She lived in the red-brick house for 24 years before moving to the Park Shore Retirement Community. Ken died in 1995.

Betty will be dearly missed by her family and friends.

There is no information about a memorial service at this time.

Published in Peoria Journal Star on Apr. 28, 2013
Read More