EDWARD JOSEPH II was born on April 26, 1926 in Philadelphia, PA. He died peacefully at age 87 on July 21, 2013 in his home on Jupiter Island. He was the son of Constance Hunter Lavino and Edwin M. Lavino, brother of Constance L. Bell of Greenville, DE and Jupiter Island, FL. Ted attended the Chestnut Hill Academy in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and graduated from The Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, New Jersey.
In 1944 he entered the US Marine Corp. and after boot camp in Parris Island went to the Princeton University V-12 program. While there he was a member of The Colonial Club. After the war, he transferred to Penn State University enrolling in its School of Mineral Industries, majoring in Ceramic Engineering and was a member of Keramos, the National Ceramic Honor Society, and Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity.
In 1957 Ted and Linda Harper of Arlington, VA. were married and in 1960 they had twins, Edwin Maurice Lavino II and Linda Frances Lavino.
In 1960 he assumed the presidency of The Lavino Shipping Company, the principal subsidiary of E. J. Lavino and Company. In 1968 The Refractory and Ferromanganese operations of E. J. Lavino and Company were sold to International Minerals and Chemicals Company. At that time he became chairman of E. J. Lavino and Company.
Mr. Lavino was a pioneer in short term leasing of aircraft and became active in oil and gas exploration in Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma, coal mining in Kentucky; and geothermal steam production in California.
Ted was an avid golfer as well as sailor, and raced extensively in the Comet Class representing the Longport Yacht Club. He assembled one of the finest collections of standard gauge antique toy trains and a major collection of Big Band music from 1935-1945.
He was a member of the Union League of Philadelphia, The Racket Club, and Fourth Street Clubs. He was also a member of Pine Valley Golf Club, Philadelphia Cricket and Sunnybrook Golf Clubs.
Ted was on the boards of the Hahnemann Hospital and The Broad Street Trust. He was the recipient of The Delaware Valley Council Man of the Year Award, Port of Philadelphia Maritime Society Award and the prestigious Philadelphia Bowl.
Ted became a widower in 1985. In 1990 he married Pamela Campbell, of Valley Forge, PA. at Whitpain Hall, in Blue Bell, PA. They were members of St. Paul's Church in Chestnut Hill, PA. They traveled extensively and finally settled in Jupiter Island, FL where they were members of Christ Memorial Chapel. They also enjoyed playing golf at Willoughby and Hobe Sound Golf Clubs.
He is survived by his wife Pamela, and children Teddy of Laguna Niguel, CA and Linda of Lafayette Hill, PA, his two step-children: Rob Campbell of Stuart, FL and Shaun McCarthy and spouse Kevin and their two children Bryn and Grey of Atlanta, GA, who adored their "BonPapa" and miss him more than words can ever say. All the rest is said in silence.
There will be two memorial celebrations of his life for family and close friends. One service will be on Jupiter Island at his home, the other, later in the fall at Sunnybrook Golf Club, Philadelphia, PA. Interment of his ashes will be at a date still to be determined.
In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to The Treasure Coast Hospice, The Chestnut Hill Academy in Chestnut Hill, PA or the Treasure Coast Humane Society.
Published on Philly.com on Aug. 18, 2013