Earl David Casazza
The Guest Book is expired.
Sept. 12, 1925
June 23, 2012
Earl Casazza was born in Reno September 10, 1925 to David and Mena Capurro-Casazza. They were a third-generation Reno family who settled and ranched in the Huffaker area in the early 1800's. Earl attended the one-room Huffaker School, then located on South Virginia Street and went to the Billinghurst Jr. High on Plumas Street. He graduated from Reno High School which was then at Fifth and Arlington.
Casazza served in the U.S. Army in the European theater for three years during World War II. After Earl returned home, the family sold the ranch and moved to town, around 1945. Earl and his late brother Albert opened Casazza Market on East Second Street. Later, after selling the market, the brothers began a log-hauling business. During this time he cleared Heavenly Valley Ski Area and excavated the Edgewood Golf Course for Wallace Park at Stateline. He also did the first major widening and clearing of the Mt. Rose Highway with Morrison and Knudsen Construction.
Several years later, Earl started Casazza Trucking Company on Glendale Avenue in Sparks, where it remained for forty-five years. By 1996, Casazza's trucking business had become the largest transporter of heavy equipment in Nevada, with offices in Las Vegas, Chico and San Leandro, California. It was a contracted transporter, and distributor for 76 Union Oil Co. of California for forty years. The company was also the major transporter for the U. S. Government in taking supplies to the atomic testing range in Las Vegas during the early years of atomic energy testing program, and was the contractor responsible for delivering all the machines used to establish Rocketdyne Corporation Laboratories near Pyramid Lake.
Earl Casazza was a member and served as President of the Italian Benevolent Society. His grandfather was a founding member of the society and served as its first president in the early 1800's. Earl was a major benefactor in the establishment of St. Albert's Church and Preschool in Reno. During his lifetime, Casazza served as President of the Nevada Transportation Association, member of the honorary trustee board of the Desert Research Foundation and was a member of the Elks Club. He established the first gallery (E.D. Casazza) in the original Nevada Museum of Art and was a benefactor of the museum for many years.
Casazza and his wife, Wanda, donated the land on Mill Street where the Casa de Vida home for pregnant single mothers was built. Casazza had three daughters, Mrs. Sunnye (Sam) Stoehr of Lodi, California; Letty Casazza of Reno and Mrs. Valli (Kevin) Hill, also of Reno. He was grandfather to Chad Stoehr, Todd Stoehr and Dennis Hill. And he was a loving uncle to nephews Mark Andreini, Mitchell Andreini, and Michael Andreini, and nieces Joyce Sharp (Dearmano), Sharon Rachow (Ronald).
A sister, Gloria Casazza Andreini and Earl's brother Albert preceded him in death.
Recitation of the Holy Rosary will be held at 1:30 pm on Friday, June 29th at Carmel of Reno, 1950 LaFond Drive, Reno. A Funeral Mass will follow at 2:00 pm. Entombment will take place at Mountain View Cemetery.
In lieu of flowers, a donation to Casa de Vida 1290 Mill Street Reno, NV 89509.
The family invites you to leave a condolence message in the Book of Memories at www.waltonsfuneralhomes.com.
Published in Reno Gazette-Journal from June 27 to June 29, 2012