More Obituaries for CLAUD GLASCOCK
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?


Obituary Condolences

American Hero
May 31, 1918 - March 15, 2013
Long-time Redlands/Colton area resident Claud Glascock died Friday, March 15, 2013 in Eagle Point, OR. Claud was born in Illinois and raised in Sherman, TX. Claud's parents, Herman and Vida May Glascock, raised their two sons; John and Claud on a small family farm. During the depression Herman went to work for the Gas Company as an inspector. Claud learned as a young boy what hard work was, having to wake up at 4 am to feed and take care of the farm animals. After his chores Claud walked to school and in the afternoon returned back home to finish the rest of his daily responsibilities. Claud's father died when he was thirteen years old. At fourteen Claud quit school and went to work in a restaurant earning $4.00 a week to help his mother support the family. Claud joined the US Army in February 1937 and served three years in the 9th Infantry. Claud re-enlisted as a member of the Army Air Corps 93rd Bombardment Squadron/19th Bombardment Group. Claud's squadron departed from Albuquerque, NM and arrived in the Philippines in November, 1941, two weeks before Pearl Harbor. Two weeks after Pearl Harbor was attacked, Claud's squadron was sent to the Bataan Peninsula and participated in its defense. On April 9, 1942, United States and Filipino solders formally surrendered to the Japanese Army. Claud was among 75,000 prisoners who were forced to march forty miles nonstop to a rail center, jammed into freight train cars, they rode three hours and then were forced to march another eight miles to Camp O'Donnel. In 1944 Claud was put on a ship from the Philippines to Formosa Island where he stayed two months and then was shipped to Japan. There, Claud worked in a Copper Smelter making war materials for the Japanese Military. The nightmare ended for Claud when the United States dropped the Atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Of the 168 men in his original squadron, only 17 came home alive. After being liberated and returning State-side to his wife Marian, and young daughter Claudean, Claud remained in the Air Force and was stationed at Norton Air Force Base. While stationed at Norton he also served 10 months in Korea during the Korean War. Retiring after 22 years from the military he worked in the beverage industry and eventually opened M&C Liquor Store in Redlands. After 34 years, Claud and Marian were divorced and Claud traveled the Western United States. After returning to Redlands he married Myrna Meyering and they were together 34 years. With the help of his good friend Mike Ramos Sr., Claud received the "Defense of the Philippines Metal" and "Prisoner of War Metal with Bronze Star Attachment" presented to him by his wife, daughters and Mike Ramos Sr. on his 89th birthday in 2007. Preceded in death by his son Mike in 2002, Claud leaves behind his wife Mryna Glascock of Eagle Point, OR, three daughters, Claudean Gordon of Redlands, Jeri Brandsford of Banning, and Jacque Eastwood of Redlands. He also leaves behind stepchildren Donald Meyering of Las Vegas, NV, Denise Ellis of Riverside, Dana Meyering of Whitecity, OR; Charyl Meyering of Mentone and Michael Meyering of San Bernardino, 10 grandchildren, 16 great-grandchildren and 4 great-great grandchildren. Claud will be interred at Riverside National Cemetery, services are pending. God Rest His Soul in Peace.
Published in Redlands Daily Facts on Apr. 9, 2013
Read More