Neil O'Donnell and Sons Mortuary
372 East First South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
(801) 363-6641
More Obituaries for Marian Haight
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Marian Haight

Obituary Condolences

Marian Haight Obituary
Marian Maxine Callaghan Haight was born April 4, 1918 to Adlai E and Mabel T. Callaghan in Salt Lake City, Utah at Holy Cross Hospital. That began Maxine's more than seventy-Five year association with that hospital.
She died peacefully in her home with family and friends by her side May 3, 2013 of cardiac complications due to a poorly functioning mitral valve. She was 95 years old.
Maxine's early years were spent living with her parents in several large cities in the U.S., because her father was a physician for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The family finally settled in Salt Lake City, and then when she was eight, they moved to Dividend, Utah where her father was under contract to the Tintic Standard Mining Co., as a physician. He also had private practices in both Dividend and Eureka, five miles away.
Maxine loved living in Dividend, but when she was eight, after recovering from scarlet fever, her parents, having both been teachers, decided that she would receive a better education in the larger schools of Salt Lake than in the one-room school house of Dividend. So for the next eight years, during the school year, she lived with her maternal grandmother and her three maiden aunts while attending Douglas Elementary, and Roosevelt Jr. High.
In 1932, Maxine and her parents moved to New Orleans, so that Adlai could do a residency in ophthalmology at Tulane. She fell in love with the city and told wonderful stories about life there. After moving back to Salt Lake, Maxine completed high school, graduating from East High.
She went on to the University of Utah where she made good friends in her classes and also while associating with Chi Omega. She graduated in 1939 with a degree in bacteriology, and went on to earn a masters degree from Vanderbilt University in Tennessee. Her degree had an emphasis on blood banking.
While at the U. of U., Maxine met Whitney J. Haight in a histology class. They became engaged and were engaged to marry for several years while Whitney completed medical school at the University of Louisville. But, WW ll intervened, and they married on the ides of March-March 15th, 1943 while Whitney was on a short break from school before the Army took the medical school over and they used a year- round schedules to produce more doctors for the war effort. Maxine had two weeks to plan her wedding. Their honeymoon was a driving trip across the U.S. to Louisville in her fathers 1939 Dodge Coupe, in which he gave to her and Whitney as a wedding gift. That was the first of many road trips they made in the next ten years. As Whitney completed an internship, service in the Army, and several residencies, they moved fourteen times before settling in Salt Lake, building their permanent home, and having Holly, their only child.
While living in large cities in the eastern U.S., Maxine worked at several hospitals including Ford Hospital in Detroit where she helped to establish what was then their most modern day system of blood banking. Before leaving Salt Lake she had worked for both the County Hospital and LDS Hospital as well as the Salt Lake Clinic.
Through her diverse childhood, her travels from place to place, and her work, Maxine met many people and developed wonderful friendships. These collective experiences helped to make her the remarkable women she became. There was no one whom God ever made, that was more understanding, compassionate, or empathetic. There was no one Maxine would not listen to, no problem she wouldn't try to understand. Whitney's patients used to call her, sometimes daily, just to talk to her. Maxine's patience was limitless, as was her ability to give of herself. She weathered many storms, and she weathered them well. Maxine read widely on Science, Medicine, and Religion, but her technique was to educate by example, and she served as a superior example of kindness. She was an ambassador of God's love.
There were no two people who loved each other more than Maxine and Whitney. Certainly no two parents who loved their child more than they loved Holly, and no two grandparents who loved their grandchildren more than they loved Emily and Alex. Their tremendous bond of love was unbreakable, even in death.
Deepest thanks go to Josefina who lived with and cared for Maxine for two years. Without her love and caring, Maxine could never have remained in her home.Thanks also to the aides who tenderly provided the necessities of everyday life. And, to Maxine's nurse Ryan.
Maxine and her family appreciated the many kindnesses of her neighbors, especially Robin, Ross and Susan. They helped to make her loneliness for Whitney more bearable.
And, of course, the greatest thanks imaginable go to Maxine's grandchildren, Emily and Alex, who literally kept the homefires burning. She was always in their hearts and minds.
Maxine is survived by her only child Holly Mirabelli (Dick) and her two grandchildren Emily and Alex Mirabelli
Funeral services will be held Wednesday May 8, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. at Neil O'Donnell & Sons Mortuary 372 East 100 South, where friends may call Wednesday 10:00- 11:00 a.m. Burial will take place at Mount Olivet Cemetery. Following the burial a luncheon will be held at little America Hotel. Please join the family in the celebration of Maxines life.


Published in Salt Lake Tribune from May 5 to May 7, 2013
Read More