Ascher, Marcia Alper
Marcia Alper Ascher was born April 23, 1935 and grew up in Middle Village, Queens, NY, in a home built by her grandfather. Her talent in mathematics was recognized early and she was transferred from her local elementary school to a NYC run school for intellectually gifted children. After high school at Forest Hills, she attended Queens College (CUNY). A few months after graduation, she married Robert Ascher who had just completed his draft obligation in the U. S. Army. The following fall (1956), Marcia and Bob started graduate school at the University of California, Los Angeles. They moved to Ithaca in 1960, where Marcia had accepted a faculty position in mathematics at Ithaca College. She was one of the founders of the Mathematics Department at I.C., but was particularly proud of starting and chairing a program in planned (independent) studies. Marcia retired in 1995 at the rank of professor and was appointed professor emerita. She collaborated with her husband, working at several archaeological sites in the U. S. and abroad. Her three books pioneered the inclusion of small scale cultures in the traditions and history of mathematical thought. For many years she ventured from her summer home in Seal Harbor, Maine to enjoy hiking and sailing in and about Arcadia National Park. Throughout the seven years of her struggle with multiple cancers and several other serious medical issues she never - not once - complained about her condition. Her quiet, calm, unassuming demeanor and her sense of humor was a balm to her husband of fifty seven years and to others who knew her. She will be missed.
Funeral services will be held Thursday June 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM at the Temple Beth El, with Rabbi Scott Glass Officiating, Burial to follow at Lakeview Cemetery. Bangs Funeral Home will be assisting the family.
In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made to either Innocence Project 40 Worth St. NY, NY 10013 or Mazon: A Jewish Response to Hunger. 10495 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90025
Published in Ithaca Journal on June 12, 2013