James Dalglish

5 entries
  • "Dear Aunt Eileen, Brenda, Linda, Diane, and Families, We..."
    - Susanne Kirklin
  • "My thoughts are with Amanda,Garrett, Dianne & Ken during..."
  • "xoxox Amanda,Garrett & of course your favorite little..."
    - Amanda Dalglish
  • "Sorry for your loss. My Dad, Earl Fraser (Strasbourg),..."
    - Helen Towers
  • "Gramma,Dianne,Ken Amanda and Garrett, Our deepest sympathy..."
    - Marie and Brent Fisher
The Guest Book is expired.

James (Dagg) Dalglish
James (Dagg) Dalglish, 87, died March 29, 2013 after a battle with old age and cancer. Dagg leaves his gentle wife Eileen (Swartz); his daughters Brenda (John Partridge); Lynda (Frank) Harrington and their children Megan (Kelly) Kroes; Leslie; and youngest daughter Dianne (Ken) Brotzel and her daughter Amanda (Garrett Fisher). He also leaves his much-loved sister Myrl (Denis) Gaydon of Madison, Wisconsin, their son Bill and 12 nieces and nephews. The family mourns his loss and takes pleasure in memories of him.
In 1925 Dagg was born to George and Olga (Logan) in Ottawa. He was predeceased by three older and lovingly-remembered brothers, Gault, George and Bill, with whom he was especially close as a boy.
With his father's tragic death in 1936, his mother Olga raised the family working as a nurse, with the help of her eldest son Gault, who Dagg respected and admired for his no- nonsense parent-like oversight. Always industrious, Dagg helped out with paper routes, joined the local milkman on his daily route and worked at Ottawa's Experimental Farm. He and his brothers were great sportsmen and Dagg most enjoyed hockey and basketball. He told tales of rather treacherous swimming with other boys at Hogg's Back. As he grew older, he took up pigeon racing, with the help and the birds of a more experienced enthusiast.
He followed his brother Bill into the Royal Canadian Air Force. Bill was lost while on a night mission to parachute supplies to the French Resistance. Bill's Royal Air Force crew and plane came down in August 1944. One of the few times his daughters saw a tear roll down his cheek was during Winston Churchill's funeral.
In 1947 Dagg joined the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, training in Regina and then was posted to the Northwest Territories. In Fort Smith, he met Eileen, who was on her own wilderness adventure after working for the British delegation in Washington, DC during the war. Their friendship grew as they shared adventures in the North, walking Eileen's dog, flying in canvas bush planes and joining friends for fishing parties and camp picnics along the Slave River.
After receiving early forensic training in Ident, Dagg and Eileen married in 1953 and were posted to Swift Current, where their first two daughters were born. They were then posted to Kipling and then Strasbourg.
Although often maintaining long work days, Dagg enjoyed his children and would occasionally delight them by taking them golfing, his favourite sport. A scratch golfer, he vacationed during Waskesui's Lobstick Tournament at the end of August each year. His daughters would complain that on at least one occasion they experienced snowflakes while swimming at the beach. He loved golfing and one of the few regrets he expressed was the one occasion when he was in the lead going into the Lobstick's final round. Although he was six points in the lead going in, he got caught up in a late card game and to his disgust slept past tee-off.
After retiring from the RCMP, Dagg moved the family to Saskatoon and was proud to join the Rasmussen family of Regina's Behlen steel grain bin and machine shed business. He enjoyed meeting farmers, learning about farm management and making friends in Hutterite and Mennonite communities.
During these years he and another RCMP colleague Ken Conrad bought a fly-in fish camp at Nagle Lake and their families vacationed there. Eventually they started offering fishing tours at the camp often for police groups. Dagg later recalled Nagle as some of his happiest memories.
Dagg was a man other men admired and respected. He will be remembered for his kindness and compassion. He was honest and honourable. Although he showed his little daughters how to make fists when he thought it necessary, as a police officer he used brains not brawn. He sought out and helped those who were the weakest and most vulnerable. He lived up to the RCMP motto 'Maintain the right.'
His family thanks the compassionate nurses, doctors and staff at St. Paul's Hospital who cared for him with gentleness and understanding.
A Funeral Service will be held on Saturday, April 6, 2013 at 10:00 a.m. at Hillcrest Funeral Home (east on 8th St., first right past Briargate Rd.) to remember Dagg. Funeral arrangements are entrusted to Charmaine Legrand.


Published in The Saskatoon StarPhoenix from Apr. 2 to Apr. 3, 2013
bullet Police Officers
Powered By Legacy.com