Frank Haddock

7 entries
  • "Frank may you "Rest in Peace" in the arms ot the LORD . You..."
    - Stanley Haddock
  • "Mrs. Haddock, Lisa and Frank - I am so sorry to hear of..."
    - Tim Lackey
  • "Frank...sorry to hear of your loss. Our thoughts and..."
  • "Frank, So sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with..."
    - Micheale Henderson
  • "Deepest sympathy from your Connecticut cousins Linda Roy..."
The Guest Book is expired.

Frank Haddock, 75, of Arlington, Va., died Wednesday at Washington Adventist Hospital, Takoma Park, Md., after a generic gene caused myeloma of the blood that affected the kidney. His wife is Rosemary Hannon Haddock. The couple married June 3, 1961, in St. Mary's Church, Avoca.

Born Jan. 13, 1938, in Avoca, he was the son of the late Stanley "Goose" and Helen Kornish Haddock. He was raised in Avoca and prepared for his adult life in various ways. He was educated in the Avoca No. 1 School and received the American Legion Award as the outstanding male student. He graduated in 1955 from Scranton Central High School and started college at the engineering school of New York University. After transferring to the University of Scranton, he received a bachelor's degree in physics/mathematics. He received a master's degree in operations research/r-and-d management from American University and attended Adelphia University, Garden City, N.Y., and George Washington University, Washington, D.C. He completed more than 900 credit hours in United States tax regulations and became an enroll agent licensed to practice before the Internal Revenue Service.

Besides his education, he was employed as a salesman with Eugene Jacobs', Scranton; a construction worker on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike; a trash worker for Avoca during spring vacation; a material handler for Revlon Cosmetics, Passaic, N.J.; and an office clerk for HAIRE Trade Publications, New York City. He also was a fountain clerk in his father's Swing Shop, Avoca's teenage meeting place in the 1950s.

After college, he was research engineer for North American Aviation, Los Angeles, where he worked on semiconductors for Minuteman Missile Systems. Returning to the East Coast, he worked as a geodesist for the Army Map Service, Washington, in the development of strategic maps. Returning to North American Aviation, Columbus, Ohio, as an aerospace engineer, he worked on effective aspects of Navy aircraft and systems. Because of funding limitations, he accepted a research engineering position with Grumman Aircraft Corp., Bethpage, N.Y., and was involved in the F-111 aircraft. Later, he was assigned to the lunar module projects. He worked on the crew safety requirements and calculated the probability that crew members (astronauts) would return to Earth.

After moving back to Washington, he accepted a position as a mathematician with the Geodsy, Mapping, Intelligence R&D Agency in the development of space intelligence data. He transferred to the Naval Ship System Command to become involved in the system effectiveness of naval ships and their systems. At the Naval Electronic System Command, he was a system effectiveness manager on various communications and navigation systems (OMEGA), Trident Communication Room, shipboard anti-missile requirements and other shipboard electronics. For the Naval Space and Warfare Systems Command, he was the naval product assurance manager during the development of the global positioning system. He was responsible for assurance of reliability, maintainability, safety, human-factor and quality requirements for GPS for the Navy. On the other programs, he was the primary system effective manager for the command.

Transferring to the Air Force System Command at Andrews Air Force Base as a system program manager, he was responsible for the development of system effectiveness procedures to be used within the Air Force. He became an educator when he became the program manager for the Air Force Intern Program. He was responsible for all training aspects of Air Force and NASA employees assigned to this program. He introduced this program as part of the regular courses at University of Alabama, Huntsville.

Upon retiring from the Air Force, he received a letter of commendation for his outstanding efforts in the performance of his duties from President George H. W. Bush. After retirement, he became a part-time teacher for the Fairfax, Va., school system. After taking a tax course, he took a position with H&R Block doing tax returns. Prior to retirement, he and his wife owned Fairlington Knitting Basket, a shop for knitting, crewel and needlepoint. Frank was the instructor for crewel and needlepoint. He also founded Rimconsulting, a consulting firm in reliability and maintainability engineering that later became a consulting tax regulation service.

He was a member of many organizations and a volunteer at many of their functions. He was an officer on the board of directors, volunteer disk jockey and more. He was a member of the Loyal Order of Moose, American Legion and Knights of Columbus, Arlington; Scranton Central Alumni Association and Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aeries, Scranton; Fraternal Order of Elks, Fairfax; Fort Myer Officer Club, Fort Myer, Va.; American University Eagles Club, Washington; West Side Social Club, Avoca; National Association of Enrolled Agents and Virginia Society of Enrolled Agents. Frank also was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, Alexandria, and Fort Myer Catholic Community, Fort Myer.

Frank was very interested in trains. His favorites were the Laurel Line and the Lackawanna. He was the last Scranton Central High School student to commute to school when the Laurel Line shut down. He was a member of the Lackawanna-Wyoming Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, Lionel Collector Club and American and National Railroad Passenger Association.

He was a sports fan and rooted for the Phillies, '76ers and Eagles. He was an Eagles season ticket holder for more than 30 years and also was a Baltimore Ravens season ticket holder from day one. He and his son Frank Jr. attended more than 400 NFL games. On one occasion, they were in Philadelphia at 1 p.m. to see Eli Manning play and in Baltimore at 8:30 p.m. to see Peyton Manning play. They probably are the only ones to see both players in two cities on the same day.

Also surviving are his son, Frank Jr.; adopted daughter, Lisa Ann; grandchildren, Megan, Michelle and Mathew; and brother, Stanley.

He also was preceded in death by a sister, Dolores Haddock Coffee, and granddaughter, Melissa.

Mass of Christian Burial will be Tuesday at 10 a.m. in Queen of the Apostles Church, Hawthorne Street, Avoca, by the Rev. Daniel J. Yenkevich. Family and friends are asked to go directly to the church. There will be no procession from the funeral home. Interment will be in SS. Peter and Paul Cemetery, Avoca.

Arrangements are by Kiesinger Funeral Services Inc., 255 McAlpine St., Duryea. Online condolences may be left at www.kiesingerfu

"Happy trails to you until we meet again."
Published in Scranton Times from Sept. 27 to Sept. 30, 2013
bullet Moose Club bullet NYU