Mountain View Funeral Home
4100 Steilacoom Blvd SW
Lakewood, WA 98499
(253) 584-0252
AASLAND Pages (19)
See More >
AASLAND Mentions
See More >


1920 - 2014 Obituary Condolences
Harold R. Aasland Dad was born on January 20, 1920 in Bristol, Day County, South Dakota. He passed away June 22. Eris, his wife, preceded him in death, October 2013. They were married December 3rd, 1948. He was the 3rd of 4 brothers. Harold's family moved to Oregon and his Dad bought a farm in Hubbard. In 1938 Harold graduated from Canby High School. After graduation he moved to Santa Monica. His first job was at a Dog and Cat Hospital and came into contact with many of the Stage and Screen. His favorite encounters were with Jimmy Durante. He was called to his home many times to retrieve his cat from under the bed and return it to the Hospital. He recounted that Mr. Durante was very approachable and an all-around guy, unlike others. In March 1940 he began work for Douglas Aircraft as an Assistant working for one of the VP's. He worked there until May 1942. He enlisted in the Navy on May 19, 1942 and received specialized training in Electronics prior to serving in the Islands of the South Pacific. He was assigned to Argus Unit 12 and was involved in the Island hopping campaign. The Argus program was designed to train and deploy elite amphibious combat teams to land in potentially hostile territory and rapidly deploy radar and radio communications equipment. The purpose was for land based fighter aircraft direction and detection of enemy aircraft. In Dad's case, the Army would set up their Radar and Dad's Unit operated it. In the beginning daily life was primitive. This coordinated fighter direction allowed for interception and prevention of enemy air and surface attacks on allied Pacific bases. As the island transitioned to an occupation stage, the Army Air Corps assumed control of the airfield and set up permanent airfield and air warning facilities. The Argus Unit returned to a staging point for rest and replacements. Dad was on least 2 deployments. After the last Island was captured he was returned to Hawaii and received additional training for the possible land invasion of Japan. He was discharged with the rank of Chief Petty Officer on Christmas Day, 1945. He traveled by Bus exploring the US for 9 months before returning to Douglas Aircraft. In 1948 he followed Eris to Tacoma where Eris had a position as a Teacher. He found a position as Traffic Manager at Buffelin Woodworking in 1948 and was there until his Retirement in 1987. While there he held many positions, including Mill Manager, Sales Manager and Commissioned Salesman, his position at Retirement. Dad was a very generous man, giving freely of his time, energy, ear, listening, help, and money. His favorite saying was "We will do the best we can". As can be seen from above and below, he was devoted to his Family, Church, Friends, Employers, and Country. He is survived by Children: Marc Aasland and Lisa Aasland, Grandchildren: Sean Graves and Mackenzie Aasland, Niece: Sharon Aasland-Woodhouse and husband Gregg, and younger Brother O.B. Aasland. Nephews and Nieces: Michael, Bob, Alan, Paul, Nancy and Martha Fenger of Minnesota. A celebration of his life will be at Christ Lutheran Church, 8211 112th ST SW, Lakewood, WA 98498. 253-582-0331. Services are Saturday, June 28 at 2:00pm, with refreshments after. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to: The USO, www.uso.org or The Tacoma Rescue Mission, www.rescue-mission.org. Arrangements by Mountain View Funeral Home. Remembrances may be shared at www.mountainviewtacoma.com.
Published in News Tribune (Tacoma) on June 26, 2014
Read More
Planning Guide
Free funeral planning guide compliments of Mountain View Funeral Home