Harold Davidson

  • "My uncle was a good man,honest,hard working and loved his..."
    - Phyllis Davidson-Thomas
  • "I truly admired uncle Harold for everything that he and my..."
    - Patricia Ramsay-Bailey
  • "Very sorry for your loss, know that god is there for your..."

Harold Virgil Davidson passed away at his home in Central Point, Oregon on September 14, 2013 after a very long, hard battle with congestive heart failure. He was born in Spokane, Washington as the son of Charles Davidson and Anna Henson-Davidson on October 9, 1925. He moved with his family to Conconully, Washington in 1927 and remained there until joining the Army in February, 1943. While fighting in Northern Europe he was assigned as a Tec 5/Platoon Sergeant in Company B, 23rd Battalion, 6th Regiment of AGFRD in the European Theater of Action. He also served as crew leader in a heavy machine gun unit during the Battle of the Bulge. Harold was wounded from artillery shrapnel in his left leg during the Battle of the Bulge and relocated through England and back to the United States. Upon returning home following the war he married Vivian F. Anderson on July 16, 1945.

Harold worked in several large construction projects in and around the Pacific Northwest until he was offered the position of office manager for Knob Hill Mining Company located in Republic, Washington. Harold remained with Knob Hill Mining Company until 1969 when he and his wife, Vivian, moved to Anchorage, Alaska. After getting settled in Anchorage, Harold started a company servicing and selling fire extinguishers to the growing market on the North Slope and along the construction of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. He served as President and CEO of Fasteners & Fire Equipment which became arguably the largest outlet of fasteners and related equipment and fire extinguishers within the State of Alaska. In 1991, due to increasing health problems, Harold and Vivian sold Fasteners & Fire Equipment to Michael Bateman. Following the sale, Harold and Vivian relocated to Oregon in 1994, settling in southern Oregon, just outside of Medford in Central Point.

Harold never asked an employee to do anything that could not or had not already been accomplished. He was a tough task master but above all fair and honest with the people around him. He had two passions later in his life: fishing and watching his two grandsons play in organized youth hockey. Harold believed in the Old School Philosophy of honoring his word and expecting those that he dealt with to return the courtesy. His handshake was always honored and respected as deeply as a written document or contract.

He was preceded in death by his parents, Charles and Anna Davidson; brothers, Alfred and Phillip Davidson; sister, Geneva Davidson; daughter, Norma L. Campbell nee' Davidson; and grandchildren, Eric D. (Chui) Campbell and Gina L. Campbell.

He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Vivian F. Davidson, Central Point, Oregon; son, Donald Davidson, Central Point, Oregon; son-in-law, David W. Campbell, Eagle River, Alaska; grandchildren, Michelle L. and Andrew Gray, Eagle River, Alaska, Angella and Joe Wilson, Grants Pass, Oregon, Andy W. Davidson, Vancouver, Washington; and five great-grand children.

According to his wishes he was buried in his family burial plot in Conconully Cemetery, Conconully, Washington with private services for his immediate family.

Published in Alaska Dispatch News from Oct. 6 to Oct. 7, 2013
bullet Army