Delbert Duncan, 82, of Sioux Falls, died Thursday, August 29, 2013 of a heart attack while driving near Newton Hills State Park.
Delbert was born December 25, 1930 at Hudson, SD to Robert O. Duncan and Della Johnson Duncan. He graduated from Hudson High School in May of 1949.
On March 17, 1951, he was united in marriage with Bernice Havelaar at the Canton Lutheran Church in Canton, SD. The couple moved to Sioux Falls where Delbert was active in the Lowell Elementary PTA, from which he received a life membership. He was part of a committee that saved the oldest school bell in the Sioux Falls School District. He and his family salvaged enough stone from the old Lowell School being razed to construct a bell tower at the current Lowell School to place the bell in.
He was a member of Our Savior's Lutheran Church where he worked with the youth group and was a Scoutmaster for 30 years. While serving as Scoutmaster, he organized a committed committee that had one of the strongest troops in the Sioux Council. Some projects carried out were the first cleanup project for River Park at 26th street and the Sioux River. They did the first tree planting at the Lake Lakota site at Newton Hills. He also planted trees and set up the wildlife shelter for the Game Fish and Parks Department. He planted trees for the Sioux Falls Park Department and the Boy Scout Camp at Newton Hills. He was in the committee that built the three buildings at the Newton Hills Boy Scout Camp. He borrowed construction equipment, built and graveled the roads and made campsites at the camp. During his years as Scoutmaster, 54 boys received their Eagle Scout Rank. He was an adult leader that took 48 boys to Washington D.C. Camp A.P. Hill for the 75th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. He had received the Scouts key in Cubbing and Boy Scouts. He had also received the Silver Beaver and the Lamb award. He was a Vigil member of the Order of the Arrow and had received their Founders Award. Mayor Mike Schirmer had presented him with the Dell Duncan Days Award.
Del was a charter member of the Lutheran Indian Relations Commission of The South Dakota Synod and had also maintained an emergency food supply. He held Christmas parties with gifts for the Rosebud families and children over 3 years of age. He had also served on the St. Dysmas and the Prison Congregations of America Board.
He was a superintendent for Sioux Falls Construction for 28 years. His proudest accomplishments were the Arch Bridge over Split Rock Creek at Garretson, the P.O.B building on the McKennan Campus, and MB2 building on the Sanford Campus.
Delbert and his wife then purchased the Olson Painting and Wall Covering business. His proudest accomplishments while there were the restoration on the Pettigrew Museum and the restoration of the 2nd floor Court House Museum and the Law Library.
He was a member of the Elks Club
, the Minnehaha County Historical Society, and the Sioux Valley Genealogical Society. He enjoyed planting trees and flowers and set up many wood duck houses and feeding stations. He enjoyed bird and animal observation.
Grateful for having shared his life are his children, Richard (Pam) Duncan of Sioux Falls, SD, Steven (Deb) Duncan of Monticello, MN, and Joan (Gary) Coomes of Madison, SD; 9 grandchildren; 21 great grandchildren; and his siblings, Patricia Anderson of Hawarden, IA, Bette Moulton of Canton, SD, James Duncan of Fort Pierre, SD, and Donald Duncan of Norco, CA. His wife, Bernice, predeceased him on September 5, 2010. In addition to his wife, he was preceded in death by his parents; three brothers, Robert, William and Frank; one sister in infancy; his granddaughter, Heather Duncan; and three step-sisters, Eleanor, Fern and Veronica.
Funeral services will begin 1:00 pm Saturday at Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Interment will precede the memorial service at 10:00 am Saturday at the Eden Cemetery, Hudson, SD. Visitation with the family present will be from 5:00 to 7:00 pm Friday at Miller Funeral Home, Main Avenue location.