Home
Resources
Evans Pages (100+)
See More >
Evans Mentions
See More >

Herbert Evans

Obituary Condolences


Family-Placed Death Notice

EVANS, Herbert Mr. Herbert Evans of Decatur, Georgia passed away on December 19, 2011. The memorial service will be held Friday December 23, 2011 at 1:00 pm at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 515 East Ponce de Leon Ave, Decatur, Georgia. He was born on March 21, 1918 to Charles and Orinda Evans in Savannah, Georgia. After spending his childhood years in Beaufort, South Carolina and Townsend, Vermont, Herbert lived in New York City prior to World War II and then enlisted in the Air Force. He received an honorable discharge and returned to Beaufort, South Carolina where he and his brothers, John and Tom, made the decision to follow their dream to open a family restaurant. They traveled to many southeastern cities and made the decision to relocate to Atlanta, Georgia. In 1946, the first Evans Fine Foods opened at 290 Ponce de Leon Ave. In the years to follow, three more restaurants were opened on Peachtree Street, North Decatur Road, and Candler Road. Herb was the bookkeeper and his brothers ran the day-to-day activities within the restaurants. The Evans brothers loved their restaurants and truly cared about their business and serving their customers. In 1982 the remaining restaurant on North Decatur Road was sold to Steve Kontos and Pete Costarides. After retiring, Hebert spent many months each year at his home on the Big Ridge outside Cashiers, North Carolina. Mr. Evans was predeceased by his first wife, Jacqueline Ferol Evans and then his second wife, Beatrice Glenn Evans, as well as his brothers John D. Evans and Thomas Evans. He is survived by his sister-in-law Virginia G. Evans, nieces, Ginna Evans, Orinda Evans Bennett and husband Rob, nephew, Charles M. Evans, great nieces Elizabeth T. Bennett, Rose J. Evans, Isabelle M. Evans, and great nephew Wells C. Bennett and wife Debra. A special thanks to the staff at Montclair Assisted Living, Azalea Home Care, and Crossroads Hospice who provided such good care to him over the past two years. At his request, his body was donated to the Emory University School of Medicine. Those desiring may make donations in his memory to the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church Music Fund, 515 East Ponce de Leon Ave, Decatur, Georgia 30030.
Published in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Dec. 22, 2011
Read More