John R. Warwood (1933 - 2008)

4 entries
  • "Barb, we are very sorry to hear about John's passing. ..."
    - Carol (Snell) Bautista
  • "Barb, sure sorry for John's having passed. I hope you know..."
    - Larry Stevens
  • "To the Warwood Family... my prayers are with you during..."
    - SharonAnn Braun
  • "Dear Barb and Family, We are all so sorry about the loss of..."
    - Jennifer Perigen
The Guest Book is expired.

John Raymond Warwood, a long-time resident of Reese Creek in Belgrade, passed away in Billings on Nov. 18, 2008.

John was born May 14, 1933, at the William Warwood homestead in Reese Creek, to John Lewis and Gladys (Maher) Warwood. He attended Reese Creek School and later graduated from Bozeman's Gallatin High School in 1951.

Following high school, John briefly attended Montana State College, but quickly determined that he wanted to take another path. He subsequently enlisted in the U.S. Coast Guard with the goal of "guarding the coast of the United States." To his surprise, he often found himself on the high seas where he embarked on several interesting adventures. Most notably, this included the history-making Beaufort Sea Expedition in 1954 as a member of the crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Northwind.

John also became a reasonably successful boxer while in the Coast Guard. However, his short-lived success ended when he ran into a Gold Gloves champion assigned to another ship. This experience taught John that just when you convince yourself that you're the best at anything, you're bound to run into someone just a little bit better. This was a life-lesson that he passed on to his children.

After leaving the Coast Guard, John worked as a cable splicer for Pacific Northwest Bell in Seattle, Wash. He was employed by the phone company for 37 years in several different capacities.

While living in Seattle, John met his first wife, Susan Roos, who he married in 1955. John and Susan had three children: Mike, Laurie and Lisa. Susan passed away in 1965 after a long bout with cancer.

John married his second wife, Barbara Sines, in 1969 in Cashmere, Wash. John and Barb left the Seattle area in 1995 and retired to the family ranch in Belgrade. They were married for 39 years at the time of his passing. Barbara was his primary caregiver for the last several years of his life. Thank you, Barb!

John enjoyed many hobbies. Most recently, John and Barb were members of the Montana Ghost Town Society and they enjoyed their annual trips to many of Montana's historical points of interest. He was an avid outdoorsman and he particularly enjoyed camping, hunting and fishing. John was especially adept at working with his hands and was frequently sought out by those who needed a helping hand with anything ranging from car repairs to a complex construction project.

In addition to Susan, John was preceded in death by his mother, Gladys; father, Lewis; brother, Bob; two daughters by his first marriage, Lisa and an unnamed infant; and his grandson, Kenny.

In addition to John's wife, Barbara, he is survived by his son, Mike, and his daughter, Laurie. John is also survived by Mike's wife, Chris; and four grandchildren, Tyson and Cory (Lisa's sons) and Kelli and Erin (Mike's daughters). Finally, John is survived by many in-laws, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews located throughout the Northwest. All will miss his sense of humor!

Visitation will be from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 21, at Dokken-Nelson Funeral Service in Bozeman. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 22, at Dokken-Nelson Sunset Chapel. Interment will follow in Reese Creek Community Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Dialysis Unit, c/o Bozeman Deaconess Foundation, 931 Highland Blvd. Suite 3200, Bozeman 59715.

Arrangements are in the care of Dokken-Nelson Funeral Service;.
Funeral Home
Dokken-Nelson Funeral Service
113 South Willson Avenue
Bozeman, MT 59715
(406) 587-3184
Funeral Home Details
Send Flowers
Published in Bozeman Daily Chronicle from Nov. 20 to Nov. 21, 2008
Powered By