Community activist and Bradenton native Berniece Scott passed away on Saturday after a prolonged illness. She was 84.
Among the organizations and roles she served were:
* Bradenton Housing Authority board member.
* Civil Service Advisory Board.
* Core Team District Strategy Plan/ADVANTAGE.
* Manatee County NAACP education committee chair.
* Manatee County Community Action Team.
* Manatee County Children's Services Board.
"When it comes to community service, some are in it for self-aggrandizement, but you could tell Berniece was invaluable and had a genuine interest in the goals of the organization," said State Rep. Bill Galvano.
Ms. Scott is survived by daughters Adrienne and Monica, brother Albert (George) Robinson Jr., and granddaughter Kira Scott-Harris.
Funeral arrangements are being handled by Westside Funeral Home, 204 Seventh St. W., Palmetto.
A viewing is 5 to 8 p.m. Friday.
The funeral service is noon Saturday at Rogers Memorial United Methodist Church, 1100 15 St. E., Bradenton.
Westside Funeral Home
204 7th St. W.
Palmetto, FL 34221
Published in The Bradenton Herald from Sept. 13 to Oct. 13, 2010