Atamaniuk Funeral Home
40 Terrace Street
Brattleboro, VT 05301
More Obituaries for Maurice Halladay
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Maurice A. Halladay

1922 - 2016 Obituary Condolences

Brattleboro - Maurice Alburton "Bud" Halladay, son of Gertrude F. Carey and Burton C. Halladay passed away on November 27, 2016.

He was born on June 2, 1922 in Brattleboro at Melrose Hospital in what is now known as the Village Green in West Brattleboro. Bud moved to Willimantic, CT at the age of 5 and attended local schools there.

Bud took swimming and boxing lessons as a young man from Frank Busch who was the former sparring partner of Jack Dempsey. His first job at age 14 was working at Henry Weir's fruit and vegetable store. Maurice graduated from Manchester High School in Manchester, CT in 1939.

Upon graduation, he went to work at Pratt & Whitney where his co-worker, Bill Roberts wrote a note to a girl that Bud had his eye on asking her out. She responded that she would go out if he really did indeed write the note. As they say, the rest is history and Bud fell in love with Bernice Moushure. Bunny and Bud eloped to Hampton Beach, NH and got married on June 23, 1942. Their three daughters are grateful to Bill Roberts.

Following their wedding, Bud enlisted in the army on December 9, 1942 and was assigned to the 14th Armored Division. He was sent to Camp Chaffee in Arkansas, where he was the first to fire a perfect score on the 30 caliber heavy machine gun. Upon completion of basic training, Bud served in the 106th Infantry, C Company where he achieved the rank of Tech. Sgt. and became a machine gun squadron leader. Maurice was stationed in England, France, Luxembourg, Germany, and Belgium. While he was overseas, Bunny wrote him a letter every day. Bud's mother had all three of her sons overseas for 14 months serving their country. Maurice was medevac'd out of the Ardennes just days before the Battle of the Bulge with a severe case of trench foot on both feet and frostbite on both hands. His 1st Sgt., James Faire carried him out on his back after a surgeon, a Lt. Colonel, who outranked Bud's commanding officer ordered him to an ambulance. Bud was sent to a French hospital where he was treated for his injuries for over a month. Meanwhile news reported that the 106th Infantry virtually was wiped out, 90% dead or captured. A Berlin broadcast said "the division had 11, 840 men on December 16th but 8 days later consisted of 212 men who are wandering about the Ardennes and are perishing in a snowstorm." Bunny finally got word over a month later that Bud was alive.

After being discharged from a French hospital, he was first transferred to the base air depot at Burtonwood, England where Bud served as a priority NCO. He was then transferred to the 344th Bomb Group and worked in the statistical and personnel office. General (then, Lt. Colonel) Lucius Clay, Jr. offered him a direct commission and rapid promotion to Captain to serve as his adjutant, but Bud declined this promotion as it would delay his coming home.

Returning home to the states, Bud embarked on a career as a mortician and by lunch time on his first day, he knew that this was not meant to be. He then went to work for the National Fire Insurance Company in 1947. Bud and Bunny moved to Brattleboro where he founded Halladay Insurance Agency and was President of the company until he retired on October 1, 1989.

Bud was active in the community, he was a 60 year plus member of the Masons, Past President and Secretary of the Brattleboro Lions Club, served as both member and President of the Holton Home Board of Directors, served on the Swift Water Girl Scout Council Board, the United Negro College Fund Board, was a past President and Treasurer of the Meetinghouse Hill Cemetery Board, and a 50 year plus member of Centre Congregational Church. He also was a member of the local VFW and American Legion and was generous with his donations to national veterans' organizations.

Bud was a voracious reader, loved doing crossword puzzles and word scrambles. He was a WWII and history buff especially local Brattleboro history. Bud also enjoyed his many trips to Scotland with Bunny.

Bud leaves his three daughters, Donna Wells and husband Tom of Greenville, SC, Betty Henry, and Jean Gilbert and husband Tom of Brattleboro. He is also survived by his grandchildren, John Wells, Jean Wells Reilly, Jessica Wells, Michael Henry II, Rebecca Henry Shinn, Douglas Henry, Katie Gilbert Wellner, and Benjamin Gilbert. Known to his great-grandchildren as Great Bampa, Grampa, Papaday, Happaday, or Great-Pops, he leaves 11 great-grandchildren, Michael and McKenzie Reilly, Dante and Madison Wells, Lucy Davies-Wells, Griffin and Ashley Clark, Brooke Lewis, Charles and William Henry, and Hunter Gilbert. Spending time with his grandchildren and great grandchildren were his greatest moments of joy and he loved following all of their activities.

He also leaves one sister Jean Wilson of Newfane, VT and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his parents, his brothers, Verne and E. Denman Halladay, his sisters, Beatrice Lange, Sally Hicking, Janice Carmichael and the love of his life for over 67 years and best friend, Bernice "Bunny" Halladay, his granddaughter, Jennifer Wells, and his son-in-law, Michael Henry.

SERVICES: Graveside services to celebrate his life will be conducted Sunday, December 4th at 11:00 a.m. in Meetinghouse Hill Cemetery with full military honors.

In lieu of flowers, please send donations in Bud's memory to the Lead The Way, an Army Ranger Foundation created to honor the memory of Sgt. James J. Regan, who was killed in Iraq in 2007. This foundation honors Sgt. Regan's spirit, his patriotism, and also gives back to his brothers, the U.S. Army Rangers.

To sign an online guestbook with messages of condolence please visit www.atamaniuk.com

Published in Brattleboro Reformer on Nov. 30, 2016
Read More
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.