Richard "Reid Flair" Fliehr

The 25-year-old son of professional wrestler Ric Flair was found dead in a SouthPark hotel room on Friday, police say.

Officers received a call at 10:35 a.m. about an unresponsive person in a hotel room at the Residence Inn on Piedmont Row Drive South. Richard Fliehr was pronounced dead at the scene, according to a news release.

Police did not say how he died but said they found no evidence of foul play. They released no other details and said the cause of death would be determined by the Medical Examiner's office.

Like his father, Fliehr was a wrestler and performed under the ring name Reid Flair.

Ric Flair's agent, Melinda Morris Zanoni of Legacy Talent and Entertainment, issued a statement on Facebook: "We are heartbroken to confirm that Ric's son, Reid Fliehr, has passed away …"

"The investigation into the cause of death is ongoing. Reid was … an incredible son, brother, friend, and professional wrestler. No words can describe the grief that Ric and his family are experiencing and they do request privacy during this devastating time."

According to pro wrestling site, Reid Flair had wrestled with his father prior to the elder Flair's retirement, and had just returned from wrestling in Japan.

He fought well as an amateur and made his pro wrestling debut in 2008, fighting with his older brother David in a match at Vance High School.

But personal issues "sidetracked what was expected to be instant stardom" in the professional ranks, according to PWinsider.

He was twice found guilty in 2009 of driving while impaired, court records show. In one case, he was ordered to enroll in an inpatient substance abuse program in Tucson, Ariz.

He told the Observer in 2008 that being Ric Flair's son had created opportunities for him, but added: "The scrutiny will be unbelievable."

The death comes as Ric Flair struggles with a recent diagnosis of a blood clot in his leg. The 64-year-old was receiving treatment and resting at his Charlotte home.

Staff writer Eric Frazier and researcher Maria David contributed

Published in Charlotte Observer from Mar. 29 to Apr. 20, 2013