Dr. Chester Andrew McLarty
Chester Andrew McLarty, M.D., died peacefully at home on November 23, 2013, two weeks before his 97th birthday.
Services will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Tuesday, November 26 at Oxford-University United Methodist Church with Reverend Warren Black and Reverend Claire Dobbs officiating. The family will receive visitors prior to the service at 9:30 a.m. Interment will be at Oxford Memorial Cemetery following the service.
A proud, life-long resident of Oxford, Dr. McLarty was a descendant of the McLarty family who were among the early settlers of Lafayette County in the 1830s. Born on December 9, 1916, he was the son of Chester Andrew McLarty, Sr., and Frances Harris McLarty.
As a young boy, Dr. McLarty was an avid Boy Scout, achieving the rank of Eagle Scout and earning 49 merit badges. At University High School, he was editor of the student newspaper, played trumpet in the band, and was valedictorian of the Class of 1933.
At the University of Mississippi, Dr. McLarty was a member of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity. He continued his love of music and the trumpet as a member of the Ole Miss Band and The Mississippians jazz band. Finishing Ole Miss in three years, Dr. McLarty was a Taylor Medal recipient and member of the Class of 1936.
Dr. McLarty attended Tulane
University Medical School in New Orleans having been awarded the Commonwealth Fund of New York Scholarship.
Earning his medical degree in 1940, he then had a two-year general rotating medical internship at the Graduate Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia from 1940-42.
Upon completing his medical training, Dr. McLarty joined the United States Navy
and served for four years during World War II
, achieving the rank of Lt. Commander. He served as the medical officer on the USS Bernadou, a destroyer that convoyed supply ships across the Atlantic and in the Mediterranean, supporting the invasions of southern Europe. At war's end, Dr. McLarty returned to Oxford and began practicing medicine with Dr. John C. Cully.
Within a year of returning to Oxford, Dr. McLarty met and courted a beautiful Ole Miss co-ed, Jane Herring of Pascagoula. They married on August 14, 1948, and began their lives together in Oxford. Dr. McLarty established his solo medical practice, and he and Jane raised their three children.
A dedicated doctor to his patients, Dr. McLarty practiced medicine for 38 years. In addition, he was a professor at the University of Mississippi Medical School in Oxford, prior to its move to Jackson in 1955. He also served a term as chief of staff of the Oxford-Lafayette County Hospital.
Dr. McLarty also pursued an interest in cattle farming, and his spare time often found him at his beloved White Oak Farm west of Oxford where he tended to his cows, drove his tractor bush-hogging, fished in the ponds, and generally enjoyed observing the birds, wildlife and nature around him.
He was an active member and president of the Lafayette County Cattlemen's Association and named Cattleman of the Year in 1976. He was also active in the Mississippi Forestry Association and was named Lafayette County Tree Farmer of the Year.
Even with his dedication to medicine, Dr. McLarty was devoted to and active in his community. He supported the local Boy Scouts at Camp Yocona with their summer medical exams. He was the co-founder of the Yoknapatawpha Arts Council and served as its second president. Governor William Winter appointed Dr. McLarty to the board of the Mississippi Arts Commission in 1984. He was also a long-time board member and past president of the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters.
Dr. McLarty was a life-long and active member of Oxford-University United Methodist Church, which was known as First Methodist Church when he joined in 1926.
Dr. McLarty was instrumental in conceiving the idea, raising the funds and commissioning the statue of William Faulkner, his friend and patient, which resides on the Courthouse Square in front of City Hall as a prominent landmark for Oxford, his beloved hometown.
His passion for music, especially Dixieland jazz, continued throughout his life. In the late 1970s he picked up a trumpet again for the first time since medical school, and what started as casual enjoyment of playing jazz with friends evolved into the No Name Jazz Band, which performed for several years at many social and civic events.
Dr. McLarty retired from medicine in July 1983, and then he and Jane pursued another interest, traveling. Over the next 20 years they traveled throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean. He spent his 80th birthday in Campbeltown, Kintyre, Scotland, the ancestral home of the McLarty clan.
Dr. McLarty lived a full life dedicated to his family, his patients, and his community. He will be greatly missed by all.
Dr. McLarty is survived by his wife of 65 years, Jane Herring McLarty; his daughters Dr. Martha Jane McLarty of Oxford and Hermine McLarty Granberry and son-in-law William Senton Granberry, Jr. of Hattiesburg; and daughter-in-law Margaret Peters McLarty of Jackson. Also surviving are grandchildren William Andrew McLarty, Jr. and wife Emily, Nathan Peters McLarty and wife Stephanie, all of Jackson; Jackson Harris McLarty and wife Ali of Baton Rouge, La.; and Hermine Herring Granberry, Clara Jane Granberry, and William Senton Granberry III of Hattiesburg. Dr. McLarty was predeceased by his son, William Andrew McLarty.
Dr. McLarty's three adult grandsons and son-in-law will serve as his pallbearers. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that memorials be made to Oxford-University United Methodist Church or to a
For additional information or to sign an online guestbook, visit our website www.wallerfuneralhome.com
or call 662-234-7971.