- ADVERTISEMENT -

J.w. McKie

J. W. "Bill" McKie

Brandon

J. W. "Bill" McKie died April 6, 2013, surrounded by his family at home in Brandon, Mississippi of congestive heart failure. He was born June 24, 1928, in Pickens, Mississippi, to the late James D. and Linda Smith McKie.

He is survived by wife of 64 years, Virginia Stogner McKie, daughter, Rosanne McKie Lee (Jerry) of Kenner, Louisiana, and son, John W. McKie, Jr. (Terri) of Madison, Mississippi, brothers James McKie of Kerrville, Texas, and Nathan McKie of Middlebrook, Missouri.

After attending Holmes Community College, he transferred to Mississippi State University where he earned a Bachelor's degree in Animal Husbandry in 1949 and was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity. He later earned a Master's degree in Agronomy from Mississippi State University in 1967.

He served in United States Air Force from 1951-1953. While in the service he contracted rheumatic fever and subsequently received a medical discharge. Upon returning home to Pickens, he farmed family land before joining Mississippi State University's Cooperative Extension Service, where he worked for 27 years helping people solve their agricultural problems.

He saw his Extension career as one of service to others and lived out that view selflessly. Starting in 1956 as Assistant County Agent in Gloster, Mississippi, he held various positions in different locations throughout the state. From 1962 to 1968 he was the Soybean Specialist with statewide responsibilities.

While in this position he was one of the founders of the Mississippi Soybean Association, which he served as Secretary/Treasurer. He co-authored The Soybean Book with Kelton Anderson, the first practical guide to growing that crop. From 1968 to 1971 he worked in a private farming operation based in Natchez MS before rejoining the Extension Service for the remainder of his career based in Poplarville, Mississippi. In 1986 he retired as Area Agronomy Specialist serving the southern area of the state. After retirement, he worked as a consultant for DuPont Chemical Company and the Mississippi Soybean Association.

In 1988 Bill and Virginia moved to Brandon, Mississippi. He was a faithful member of St. Mark's United Methodist Church, serving on the Board of Trustees, as a delegate to Annual Conference, and was active in the Men's Club and Crusaders Sunday School Class. He particularly enjoyed Men's Club activities like the annual Chicken Barbeque and cooking breakfast at the monthly Club meetings.

He spent many hours with his son maintaining and improving his tree farm property and deer hunting there. Mississippi State athletics was a keen interest and he was a lifelong supporter of the university. He loved baseball and faithfully followed the Atlanta Braves and loved his cats as well. He always had an observation or interesting story to fit any situation.

Visitation will be held at St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Brandon from 9:30 am to 11 am on Tuesday, April 9, followed by a memorial service in the sanctuary.

The family extends deepest thanks to the caregivers who became like family- Audrey, Barbara, Eloise, Leslie, Mary, and Joyce-and to the staff of Sta-home Health & Hospice. In lieu of flowers please make donations to St. Mark's United Methodist Church, 400 Grant's Ferry Road, Brandon, MS 39047, or a .

logo



Published in Clarion Ledger on Apr. 8, 2013
- ADVERTISEMENT -