Larson, Lewis H.
Lewis H. Larson Jr., age 86 of Carrollton, Ga. died Sunday November 25, 2012. Lewis was born January 24, 1927 to Lewis Sr. and Thelma (Brunson) Larson in South St. Paul, Mn. Lew graduated from the University of Minnesota and received his Ph.d from the University of Michigan. He taught at Georgia Technology, Georgia State, Eastern Kentucky University and retired has a Professor of Anthropology at the University of West Georgia. Lewis was the 1st State Archaeologist for the state of Georgia. In 1954 Lew began work on the Etowah site in Cartersville, Ga.. Lew's work on Mound C gave Georgia & Southeastern archaeology important relics and knowledge on prehistoric Indians that occupied Georgia. Lew also excavated sites on St. Cathrines Island, Pine Harbor, Sutherland Bluff and Sapelo Shell Ring on the Georgia coast. Lewis was preceded in death by his parents Lewis Sr. and Thelma (Brunson) of South St. Paul, Mn. and Darien, Ga.. Brother Dean Larson of South St. Paul, Mn. Brother David and wife Patricia (Salmon) Larson of Austin, Mn. Survivors include life long family friend Simon (Willie) Williams. Nephews Doug (Kathy) Larson of St. Michael, Mn, Jeff (Debbie) Larson of Mannford, Ok,and Steve (Rhonda) Larson of Kasson, Mn. Grand nieces and nephews Sarah, Ryne, Lindsay, Brady, and Nick of Minnesota. Audrey, Danny, Darcey and Austin of Oklahoma. In lieu of flowers the family prefers memorials to the Thelma B. Larson Memorial Award for Anthropological Research at West Georgia University.