Daughter of Hettie West (Richards) and Howard Roberts Jones. Born October 12, 1917, Smyrna, Delaware. Died October 29, 2012, West Palm Beach, Florida.
The Guest Book is expired.
Mrs. Wilson was one of two daughters (Anna Roberts Jones) born in the historic Jones House on Main Street in Smyrna. Upon graduation from Smyrna High School as salutatorian, she attended Southern Seminary Junior College in Buena Vista, Virginia, and later Temple University in Philadelphia, where she studied to be a hospital laboratory technician.
She began that career at Peninsula General Hospital in Salisbury, Maryland, and continued on at Kent General Hospital, Dover. Later, she married the late Manlove Hayes Wilson, Jr., of Dover. Mrs. Wilson became active in community affairs, being a co-founder of the Junior Board at Kent General. She also served as President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer of that organization. Mrs. Wilson participated in the Junior Board Follies at the Capitol Theater. It was a hilarious program featuring community leaders and hospital personnel and sold out annually. It was also the primary fundraiser for the Junior Board. Many an afternoon, Mrs. Wilson could be found at the Board's Gift Shop as a volunteer.
She was also a member of the Dover Century Club, Friends of Old Dover, USO, and old Maple Dale Country Club. When the Dover Little League began in 1955, she and her husband, Hayes, organized and ran the concession stand at the Capitol Green Park.
Also participating in church activities, Mrs. Wilson was one of the first women to be elected to the Vestry of Christ Episcopal Church, Dover.
After the death of her mother in 1951, Mrs. Wilson and her sister, Anna Roberts McDonald, ran the family drug store at the corner of Main and Commerce in Smyrna, a location later leased and owned by pharmacist, Martin Golden.
But, there was always time for the twice-weekly, highly competitive scrabble games with Anne, Elva, Jess, Mae, and Millie. Daily cokes with the girls - Alice, Anne, Becky, Coe, Doris, Esther, Isabel, Jess, et al - at the State Restaurant on Loockerman was a must. Then, the once-a-year Fan Tan Group of Betty, Carolyn, Charlotte, Doris, Maggie, and Esther.
Making Angel Food Cakes with white icing for family friends, physicians, hospital doctors, and clergy for their birthdays was one of her passions. These legendary cakes were in great demand and deemed to be the best in the state.
Sally looked forward to the winter golfing vacations from Jamaica to Scotland spent with the Allan Frears, Charles Richards, Hugh Gallaghers, and Jack Townsends in the '60's and '70's. Although she did not golf as did her husband and sons, Sally was not bashful in displaying her basketball medal awarded for making 25 straight foul shots at Smyrna High (1935).
Continuing with her community concerns, Mrs. Wilson was appointed to the Board of the Children's Bureau of Delaware. Together with the late Mrs. Alexis I (Jean) duPont Bayard, they founded the Blue Carriage Ball, held on the terrace of the old Rehoboth Beach Country Club. This dance became the major funding source for the Children's Bureau in Sussex and was highlighted by the annual return of the Howard Lanin Orchestra.
In 1963, Sally Wilson passed the Delaware Real Estate Exam and enthusiastically commenced selling for the firm of Anderson-Stokes in Rehoboth Beach. Within six months, she became the first winner of the Million Dollar Sales Award and received a Cadillac for her efforts. Over time, she became a broker and Vice President for Anderson-Stokes, as well as a member of their Board. Later, she became an Associate Broker with Long & Foster Realtors. After retiring in 2002, an occasional bridge game with Betty, Barbara, Jane and Marge brought her great joy.
The Wilsons moved from their Laurel Drive home in Dover to their "Breakers Ahead" cottage at Rehoboth-by-the-Sea (now Dewey) in the 1970's. In 1982, they, along with cousins Edith Wilson Shank McMichael and her daughter, Constance Shank Wahlig, built a 12-unit condo where their cottages originally stood facing the Atlantic. Mrs. Wilson lived there until 2004, when she sold her unit and moved to McKeen Tower independent living in West Palm Beach, run by the Carmelite Sisters for the Aged and Infirm. While living in Dewey, Mrs. Wilson enjoyed the chicken and dumplings at the Captain's Table whenever possible.
Along with her real estate, Sally Wilson was an active member of All Saints Episcopal Church in Rehoboth, elected to its vestry; was a member of the Rehoboth Art League where she served as Chairperson of their Theater Group for 20 years; the Rehoboth Beach Yacht and Country Club; a Director of Second National Bank; and on the Board of the League of Planned Parenthood.
On August 24, 1999, on the eve of the 50th anniversary of the Sussex County Association of Realtors, a surprised Mrs. Wilson received their Lifetime Achievement Award to a standing ovation.
She is survived by sons, Daniel Mifflin II (JoAnne) of Cleveland, Ohio; Richard Hayes, of Wilmington; four grandchildren: P. Scott (Kelli) of Dover; Richard H., Jr., Ashley J., and Thomas B., all of Florida; four great grandchildren; nephew, General (Rtd) John H. McDonald, and his son, Stephen G. (Laura) of Wilmington; daughters-in-law, Deborah Archambault (Philip) of Dover and Donna Wilson of Wilmington; friend and confidante, Anna Misener of Lewes; nurse Pansy James of West Palm Beach; many loving cousins; and Doverites: Muriel Schwartz and Doris Jackson. A daughter, Anne Brewster, died at birth.
A memorial service will be held on Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 11 am in Christ Episcopal Church, located at the corner of S. State and Water Streets in Dover, DE.
Internment will immediately follow at Christ Episcopal Church Cemetery.
A second memorial service will be held on Monday, December 3, 2012 at 11 am in All Saints Episcopal Church located at 18 Olive Avenue,
Rehoboth Beach, DE in Rehoboth Beach, DE.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial contributions be made in the name of Sarah B. Wilson to Christ Episcopal Church, PO Box 1374, Dover, DE 19903 or to All Saints Episcopal Church, 8 Olive Ave., Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971.
Arrangements are by Faries Funeral Home of Smyrna, DE.
Condolence letters may
be sent by visiting
Faries Funeral Home
29 South Main Street
Smyrna, DE 19977
Published in The News Journal on Nov. 1, 2012