More Obituaries for Horst Reith
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Horst Anthony "Tony" Reith

1940 - 2019 Obituary Condolences
Horst Anthony "Tony" Reith Obituary
We all live on borrowed time, our dad borrowed a lot more than most.
Our Dad passed away January 6th, 2019 in Salt Lake City, after living many years with dementia. Tony was born September 24, 1940 in Novi Sad, Yugoslavia to Michael and Maria Magdalena Reith after which the family, including his sister Mary, returned to Vilshofen, Germany to live.
After surviving WWII, the family came to the U.S. and lived with relatives in New York before settling in Ravenna, OH. Tony attended Ravenna High and was a star athlete in many sports but truly exceled in football and became the star fullback. He was injured in a game, received stitches in his leg, suited up and returned for play in the next week's game before becoming ill and collapsing. Tony had contracted Tetanus that resulted in lock jaw and he was given his last rights as a member of the catholic church and flown back to Germany. He recovered from this severe illness and the family again returned to Ravenna, where he attended his senior year and was named Homecoming King.
After high school Tony and a friend left for the 'big city' and greater opportunities in California. He worked in the construction field until he was drafted into the Army and was sent to Fort Carson, Colorado. He met his first wife during this time and they married in 1964. After discharging from the Army, Tony took advantage of the VA Technical school and earned an HVAC certificate.
Eventually he moved his family to Bountiful, UT following a good job market in his field. Once in Utah, he decided it reminded him of his home country of Germany and he never left. Our dad loved fishing, camping and boating with his buddies and kids in and on the rivers and lakes of the Uinta and Wasatch ranges. He was a very generous man and a good friend, a gentle giant. He loved cars and could fix just about anything, except this terrible disease of dementia.
Our dads final act of generosity was to bequeath his body to science at the University of Utah's School of Medicine for study. Dementia stole our big, strong, capable dad. We hope future generations won't suffer the same loss.
He is survived by his five children from his first wife; Linda, Michael, Annette, Greg and Kathy. Four granddaughters, two great-grandsons, one great-granddaughter on the way, two ex-wives and nieces and nephews. Thank you to his loving caregivers along the way who kept him happy and safe at home while they could. Thank you to the kind nurses, doctors and aides at the VA Hospital who kept him safe and comfortable in his last days and hours.
Bye dad…drive safe.
Published in Deseret News on Jan. 13, 2019
Read More
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.