Dr. John Edward Carter, D.O., 87, waited years under an admissions quota system for minority applicants during the 1950s to enter the medical school on the Wayne State University Detroit campus where he received his Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy in 1951, passed into eternal life Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014.|
Funeral: 9:30 a.m. Saturday in Greenwood Chapel. Interment: Greenwood Memorial Park. Visitation: 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at Greenwood.
Dr. Carter realized his career goal when, with the support of his wife Zettie Ables Carter and encouragement of doctors eager for help serving minority communities, he won admission to and in 1963 graduated from Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery.
From 1963 to 2001 Dr. Carter provided exemplary service without prejudice to all racial, ethnic and religious communities through his private practice in Saginaw, Mich., and the University of North Texas Health Science Center of Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine. Throughout his career he sought to draw more minorities to the medical profession and championed Osteopathy.
Dr. Carter accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior at age 13 and girded himself against the ever present challenges of life, leaning on Matthew 7:7 for peace, strength, and guidance. "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you."
Generous of his time and spirit, Dr. Carter was proud when in 1980 he was honored with the prestigious designation of Fellow by the American College of General Practitioners in Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery for his contributions through teaching, authorship, research, and professional leadership. Although the recipient of numerous honors for his professional achievements, he credited the "specialist" at his side when treating patients' high blood pressure, broken bones, arthritis, hemorrhages, stroke, tuberculosis, cancer, diabetes, ulcers, nervous conditions and more. When Dr. Carter called that specialist by name it was "Lord of Lords", "Jesus."
As he retired in 1987 from his general practice in Saginaw and in 2001 from UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, he had the pleasure of twice receiving an outpouring of tributes from patients, peer colleagues, medical students, and professional associates. Accolades bore witness to his excellence as a clinician and teacher, ethics and integrity beyond question, kindness, collaborative nature, and humor. On Nov. 1, 2013, the Alumni Association of the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine welcomed Dr. Carter into its Golden Medallion Club, honoring his 50 years of service to the community, profession and CCOM as an osteopathic physician.
Dr. Carter joined UNT Health Science Center at Fort Worth Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine in 1987 as Associate Professor of Family Medicine and Medical Director of UNT's South Side Family Practice Clinic. Former students appreciated his teaching/mentoring style, which set them on the path for success rather than failure. Dr. Carter's many and varied contributions at TCOM included serving as a member of the Affirmative Action Committee, chairman of the Admissions Committee, and minority affairs advisor.
Dr. Carter interned at Saginaw Osteopathic Hospital from 1963-64. He opened his private general practice in 1964, was chief of staff at Saginaw Osteopathic Hospital from 1979-1981, president of the Osteopathic General Practitioners of Michigan in 1983-84, and member of the state of Michigan Board of Osteopathic Medicine Licensure and Regulations.
He was appointed to the Saginaw Human Relations Commission January 1976 and served in that volunteer role for 11 years. He has been a member of the First Ward Community Center Board of Directors, the Greater Saginaw Chamber of Commerce, Frontiers International service organization, Bethel AME Church, the executive committee of the United Way of Saginaw and chairman of the board of directors of Opportunities Industrialization Center, Inc. of Metropolitan Saginaw. In 1978, he was charter member of Saginaw's Chi Xi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc., and Connecting Link of the Saginaw and Fort Worth Chapters of The Links, Inc.
Dr. Carter was an avid gardener, growing vegetables as well as ornamental plants. He was similarly fond of swimming. A veteran of the United States Navy, serving 1945-1946, he loved morning lap swims at his Michigan home even when it snowed.
Dr. Carter was born March 6, 1927, in Detroit, Mich., to Mary Ella Gray, housewife, of Greensboro, Ala., and John Carter, auto mechanic, of Raleigh, N.C. He was the couple's only son and grew up with five sisters, three of whom (Mildred Baxter, Alice Johnson and Doris Williams) preceded him in death. Dr. Carter married Zettie Ables Aug. 30, 1959. He said goodbye to hispartner in love and community service at her passing June 3, 2006.
Survivors: Dr. Carter--husband, father, physician, teacher, and community servant--leaves to cherish his memory, daughters, Judy Carter Davis (Dwight) of Dallas, Lisa Carter of Fort Worth, Anitra Langham (Charles) of Fort Worth, and Zada Blayton of Fort Worth; grandchildren, Ian Davis of Dallas, Bomani Carter of Fort Worth, Lindsey Cambridge of Fort Worth, Justin Cambridge (Ryan) of Boston, Mass., Vernal Cambridge III of Atlanta, Ga., Len Langham Roof (James Jr.) of Arlington, Chanler Langham (Juni) of Houston, Genoise Thomas of Galveston; great-grandchildren, Evan Cambridge, Dylan Cambridge, Deon Cadogan of Columbus, Ga., Spencer Roof and Spicer Roof of Fort Worth, and Lloyd Manduburg Jr. of Galveston; sisters, Mary Hairston (Herbert) of Augusta, Ga., and Eleanor Benjamin of Oak Park, Mich.; and many extended family members and friends.
Published in Star-Telegram on Aug. 13, 2014