Award-winning local architect was rich with friends.
Among Bill Weborg's many contributions to local architecture are the Erie Cruise Boat Terminal and Lakeshore Country Club, two designs for which he received national recognition from the American Institute of Architects.
Bill was born in Kane, Pa., to Robert and Esther Weborg. He was an Eagle Scout and attended Kane High School, where he was an all-state basketball player, and where he set the school's track record for the 110 meter high-hurdles. He graduated in 1966 and attended Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh, where he played four years of scholarship basketball, and was a member of the Beta Theta Pi Fraternity.
After completing his five-year architecture program in 1971, he moved to Erie and joined the firm of Hallgren, Restifo and Loop. During those early years, he also coached basketball at Mercyhurst College, as an assistant to Dick Fox.
In 1972 he married Dawn Larson, his high school sweetheart.
As a professional, it was not long before he set out on his own, founding an architectural firm which continued to grow over the next several decades. He ended his career as the sole proprietor of Weborg Studio.
Bill truly loved what he did. When he wasn't designing, he was active in programs such as Fairview School District's Adopt an Artist, giving lessons on famous architects including Frank Lloyd Wright and conducting walking architectural tours of downtown Erie for anyone interested. He helped guide many student tours and workshops at the famous Fallingwater home in Mill Run, Pa.
But while his legacy will live on in the beautiful buildings he has left us, his true mark on our community will be felt through the friendships and connections he had throughout the area.
He was an active member of Wayside Church, where he served on the Board of Trustees and sang in the Chancel Choir. He was also a Master Mason (Lawrence Lodge) and a Shriner, a former Sergeant at Arms for the Erie Rotary Club
, and he held offices at numerous levels of the American Institute of Architects and the National Council of Architecture. He also served as a District Committeeman and Vice Chairman for the Oliver Perry District of the French Creek Boy Scouts, where he co-chaired their annual golf event.
He was on the Kane Area School District Alumni Scholarship Committee, Millcreek School District Athletic Advisory Committee, the boards of the Erie Conference on Community Development, Coaching 4 Life, Erie Area Community Bank and First National Bank. In addition, he was a member of the Millcreek Township Design Awards Program.
In 1991, Bill received a liver transplant at Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh. He confronted all of life's challenges with unwavering optimism and a positive outlook that just simply couldn't be shaken. Following his transplant, he acted as a mentor and companion to organ recipients around the country, total strangers who had received his contact information looking for comfort, support and guidance through an otherwise difficult time. He never turned them down, sometimes staying up at night for hours to have conversations with people in need.
He continued that mission as an instrumental part of the Erie Volunteer Task Force with the Center for Organ Recovery and Education (CORE), an organization dedicated to promoting and educating others about organ donation. As an organ donor himself, it would bring him great joy to know that he has now given others the gift of renewed hope for a better life.
Bill was an avid reader and golfed whenever the Erie weather would permit. In the offseason, he and his wife would make annual trips to Hilton Head.
He was preceded in death by his father, Robert Weborg, his mother, Esther (nee Johnson) Weborg, and his sister, Joyce (nee Weborg) Grazzini.
Anyone who spoke with Bill knew how much pride he had for his wife, Dawn, and especially for his son, Lars and his daughter-in-law, Jacque, who live in Chicago. He is also survived by his dog, Riley, his seven nieces, his three nephews, his four grand-nieces and his six grand-nephews.
He will be missed by all the four-legged canine visitors to Camp Weborg and his little pal, Brody.
There will be viewings on Wednesday, April 2 at Brugger Funeral Homes & Crematory, 1595 W. 38th St., at Greengarden Blvd., from 2:00-4:00 p.m. and 7:00-9:00 p.m. Another viewing will be held Thursday, April 3 at 10:00 a.m. at Wayside Presbyterian Church,1208 Asbury Rd., prior to an 11:00 funeral service. The service will be officiated by Rev. James Haas and Pastor William Coleman.
Memorials are suggested to: Wayside Presbyterian Church, 1208 Asbury Road, Erie, PA 16505 and The Center for Organ Recovery and Education, 204 Sigma Drive, RIDC Park, Pittsburgh, PA 15238. Please send "In memory of Bill Weborg," and include your name and address.
Published in the Erie Times-News from Apr. 1 to Apr. 2, 2014