Ernest W. Lewis, born on December 19, 1922 in Pueblo, Colorado, died January 26, 2014 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
Ernie lived with his parents on their farm outside of Boone, Colorado through High School. He excelled in both vocal and instrumental music.
He attended Colorado Springs Bible College for two years before he served in World War II
with the 5th Army in Italy. Upon his return in 1945 he married Caroline M Nelson at the Pilgrim Holiness Church in Hopeton, Oklahoma. They began a life-long music ministry. The first four years they served as Music Evangelists, singing for revival and camp meetings. The next 25 years Ernie taught music at Pilgrim and Wesleyan Colleges which became Oklahoma Wesleyan University. He earned his Bachelors of Arts degree from Azusa Pacific University, a Master's degree in Vocal Music from Tulsa University and an honorary Doctorate degree from Burton University. Ernie is remembered for his College Choirs and his Spiritual guidance. After retiring from the University he entered into church music and visitation ministries. In 2009 they moved to Westside Garden Plaza, an independent living facility, in Indianapolis, Indiana to be close to family.
His most important legacy to his family and all those who knew him was his faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.
He is survived by: His wife Caroline M. Lewis and three children: Ernestine Lewis Atkinson and her husband Oren; Francie Lewis Emery and her husband Richard and Loren Lewis and his wife Angela Rodriguez Lewis. Nine grandchildren and twelve great-grandchildren: Christopher Emery, Tina Atkinson Ross, Jared Emery, Angela Emery Parham, Derek Atkinson, Amy Atkinson Brown, Jason Lewis, Lora Lewis and Chantel Lewis.
The family would like to thank all the special people at Westside Gardens Plaza who gave daily loving care to Ernie.
In lieu of flowers, friends are invited to donate to Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Lewis Alumni Park.
Oklahoma Wesleyan University, 2201 Silver Lake Road, Bartlesville, Oklahoma 74006 Phone: 918.335.6200