Dr. Louis S. Morgan (1922 - 2014)

3 entries
The Guest Book is expired.

Dr. Louis S. Morgan died at his home in Bartlesville on Monday, August 19, 2014 , confessing his faith in his Lord Jesus Christ, and earnestly looking forward to joining his family in Heaven.
On Sunday, 28 May 1922, in Arkansas City, Kansas, new young physician Louis Schubert Morgan (II) and his wife, Bertha (Betty) Starner Morgan welcomed their first child, Louis Starner Morgan.
Grandpa, Louis Schubert Morgan (I), owned the music store only a few blocks away on High Street. The Morgan family had been prominent citizens in Arkansas City since 1893, the year of The Run. Young Louis was quickly joined by a brother William Robert (Bob) in 1924, and a sister Gloria Louise (Glo) in 1926. The boys, particularly, were a handful, and there are many hilarious stories. Lou taught himself to read from the letter sounds on his little blackboard. He took violin lessons, and played "oil field" in the backyard, joined Boy Scouts, built crystal sets…the activities of childhood. In October 1929, the Morgans were divorced. The Depression years were very straightened circumstance for that little mother-led family.
In 1934, his mother, Betty Morgan, became reacquainted with a childhood friend, and returned with her children to her Adams County, Pennsylvania home to marry John M. Linn. The next few years on the farm were happy years. If you asked Lou, he would tell you that he grew up on the farm near Gettysburg. Lou skipped a grade, and Bob skipped two at the one room Liberty Township school. Lou sat at the old desk where a predecessor, Thaddeus T. Stevens, long ago carved his name. The next year, the boys rode with a neighbor to Gettysburg High. They were especially active in speech, and Lou excelled in chemistry. Both brothers graduated in 1939.
College tuition was much higher in Pennsylvania, so that fall Lou rode his bicycle back to Arkansas City Junior College, where he lived with his Grandmother Morgan. He graduated there in 1941. Since his dad was then practicing in Ponca City, he was eligible for Oklahoma in-state tuition, so both Morgan boys transferred to the University of Oklahoma. Lou worked nights at the State Hospital in Norman to pay his expenses. They joined Acacia Fraternity. At Norman, his brother met Betty Pullen, a fellow debater, and Lou met Willa June Hall in English class. They liked each other's choices so that Bob and June; and, Lou and Betty became engaged before graduation in 1943.
Lou was accepted in OU Medical School, and Betty took a job with Liberty Mutual Insurance Company in Boston for a year. It was wartime - Army service intervened. As a medical student, he did reserve officer training and was commissioned in the months before entering school the next year. Betty Joyce Pullen and Louis Starner Morgan were married 16 September 1944 in Oklahoma City. They lived in an oil field shack two blocks from the Capitol, a block from Betty's parents' home, and Lou rode his bicycle to class and to work through the medical school years. Gale Linn Morgan was born the next year. They were proud that Lou was able to graduate debt free in 1948.
Lou took an internship in the first class of interns at the brand new St. Joseph's Hospital in Wichita, Kansas. After internship in 1949, he joined Dr. David Hall of Wichita to learn psychiatry. That was the same year that the major tranquilizers became available. Always way ahead of his time on new innovations, Lou feared that psychotropic drugs would soon eliminate the need for psychiatrists. So he decided to go into General Practice in 1953. It was an amazing time to be practicing medicine. He saw the rise of antibiotics, polio vaccine, tranquilizers, drugs for blood pressure, birth control, miraculous advances in treatment and surgery. He practiced solo for a few years, but practiced with partners or associates for many years. He was an early Fellow of the Kansas Society of Family Practice Physicians. He really enjoyed teaching nurses, and was an early preceptor physician for the Physicians Assistant program at Wichita State University.
In 1950, a son, Louis Starner Morgan was born (also called Lou).
Big Lou had an interest in archaeology ever since finding artifacts while plowing back in Pennsylvania. For fun, he took graduate classes in archaeology at Wichita University (now Wichita State University). For a long time he was considered the resident local expert on Indian sites east of Wichita. He published a paper about an Archaic Period site on the Linn farm in Pennsylvania. He became very interested in Middle American archaeology. He was similarly interested in rock and minerals, and in geology, and was a lifelong rock collector. He loved to do stone masonry and built many a wall on his properties. He dabbled in metal work, in painting, and in wood carving. He loved radio and was especially interested in short wave and ham radio. He was an electronics enthusiast. He had one of the first TV sets in Wichita - before there was a station in town and reception came from Oklahoma City.
The next door neighbor was Bill Thompson, an aeronautical engineer and chief test pilot for Cessna. The two couples took several aircraft delivery/vacations together, most notably to Latin America. It was the beginning of a lifetime of fascinating and exotic world travel for the Morgans. Bill interested Lou in flying in 1952. With an instrument rating under his belt in 1958, he bought his first airplane, a Cessna 172. He had a 210 for a few years, then a Beechcraft Bonanza. He was an FAA Flight Examiner. Even in recent years, he could wax eloquent with hanger flying tales. Both Gale and young Lou became good pilots.
The family moved to a farm east of Wichita in 1968. The farm was his hobbyist's delight. He had a greenhouse for his tropical plants, a plow-sized garden, and apple orchard, plenty of space for his lifelong rock collection, a barn to stow his olde tyme farm machine acquisitions, and a really big radio tower for his short wave radios.
They were proud when young Lou graduated from Tulane Medical School, then did his residency in dermatology at Stanford. He later taught dermatology there and practiced in Palo Alto. Louis, Jr. died in 1991. At retirement, Louis was proud that between his own dad, his son, and himself, the three had 120 years of medical practice.
Both Betty and Lou were raised in the Presbyterian church. Betty accepted Christ as her Savior in 1974 and the Morgans joined the Church of the Nazarene in Wichita where they were very active. Dr. Morgan retired from medical practice in 1998. Betty Morgan died in 2006 and Louis moved to Bartlesville, Oklahoma in 2007 to be near his daughter and family. He has attended First Wesleyan Church in Bartlesville, and has been a supporter of Oklahoma Wesleyan University.
He was a member of the American Medical Association, Sedgwick County Medical Society, and Butler county Medical Society. In his early practice he was a member of the American Academy of General Practice. He was a Charter Fellow of the American Academy of Family Practice, and a Life Associate Member of the American Psychiatric Association. He served as Chief of Staff for the Augusta Medical Complex in 1986/87, an early member of Wichita Foundation for Medical Research, and a member of the Advisory Hospital Council to the State Board of Health. He enjoyed Sedgwick County Gem and Mineral Society, and Oklahoma Anthropological Society. He was a member of Sons of the American Revolution (SAR), and a reorganizing member of the Bartlesville Chapter.
Louis Starner Morgan is preceded in death by his son Louis Starner Morgan, his wife, Betty Pullen Morgan, his brother W. Robert Morgan, and his sister Gloria Morgan Gnatz. His half-sister and brothers Colleen Morgan DeBruhl, Maurice M. Morgan, Gene E. Morgan, Rev. Shelley Morgan also preceded him. His half-sister Karen Morgan, and half-brothers Norman, Larry, and Philip Morgan survive him. He is survived by his daughter Gale Morgan Kane and her husband Robert M. Kane; by his grandchildren, Linn Louise Kane, Richard Morgan Kane and his wife Champagne, and Jess Morgan Kane and his wife Ashley; and great granddaughters Cora Elizabeth Kane and Sammy Linn Kane, all of Bartlesville.
Memorial donations may be made to the Louis S. Morgan IV Endowed Memorial Scholarship, Oklahoma Wesleyan University, 2201 Silver Lake Rd., Bartlesville, Oklahoma, 74006.
His funeral was under the direction of Arnold Moore & Neekamp Funeral Home. Graveside services and Interment were at Fairlawn Cemetery, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on Friday, August 22, 2014. Rev. Joe Colaw of First Wesleyan Church, Bartlesville was the officiant.
Published in Examiner-Enterprise from Aug. 24 to Sept. 23, 2014
bullet Tulane University
Powered By Legacy.com