INGERSOLL, Aldon Al Ingersoll passed away the morning of (March 8, 2011). He is survived by his wife of 58 years, Constance; his sister, Janice Ingersoll, of Arlington, VA and five children: John Ingersoll of Ellington, Cheryl and her husband, Len Quartararo, of Cheshire, Peter and his wife, Leah Ingersoll, of South Windsor, and Scott and Michael Ingersoll, both of Newington. He was also the grandfather of four: Andrew 'AJ' Quartararo, Mallory Ingersoll, Daniel Quartararo and James Ingersoll. He was affectionately called 'Papa' by his grandchildren; a title bestowed upon him by his oldest grandson AJ. Al Ingersoll had proudly served on the aircraft carrier USS Hornet (CV-12 class) during World War II. He was a radioman/gunner in dive-bombers used in the South Pacific campaign. During his service in the Navy, he had been awarded the Air Medal, Asiatic Pacific 5 Stars Medal, Philippine Liberation Ribbon and the American Theatre & World War II Victory Ribbon. Al was an avid sports fan. He followed his beloved Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots and UConn sports teams. He was very loyal to local teams including those played on by his grandchildren. He truly enjoyed his second home on Cape Cod in addition to one of his favorite pastimes of "Going after the bluefish on Long Island Sound." Al was born on 10-8-23 in Ilion, NY; son of Allen M. and Betty (Bessie) R. Ingersoll. He graduated from Ilion High in 1941and went back to school as a post grad to play football. He worked for Remington Arms and was there when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Al joined the Navy on June 7, 1942 and was sworn in on the Capital steps in Albany, NY as an 'avenger of Pearl Harbor.' Al graduated from Clarkson College in Potsdam, NY. He went on to work in management for Sears Roebuck in Schenectady, NY, Woonsocket, RI, Lynn, MA and Cambridge, MA. He met and married his wife, Constance, while in Woonsocket in 1952 and later lived in Marblehead, MA. He then joined GEM Int. in Saugus, MA and later managed the Hingham, MA store. In 1962, he was transferred to Newington to build and manage GEM of Hartford. After that, Al went to work for the State until his retirement in 1986. The family would like to thank the staff on 7-2 at St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center, especially Paulette, and those who truly cared for Dad and brightened his days with their kindness and spirit. A memorial service to honor his life will be held at Church of the Holy Spirit, 183 Church St., Newington, at 10 a.m., Saturday, March 19. Interment with full military honors will follow at State Veterans' Cemetery, Middletown. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Hydrocephalus Association, Disabled American Veterans, To share a memory with his family, please visit us at

Funeral Home

Newington Memorial Funeral Home
20 Bonair Avenue Newington, CT 06111

Published in The Hartford Courant from Mar. 13 to Mar. 17, 2011