James George JALBERT

Obituary Condolences

James George JALBERT Obituary

JALBERT, James George

James George Jalbert, of Glastonbury, died peacefully on May 24, 2012. He leaves his wife, Katherina Praisner Jalbert, of fifty-four of years, his daughter Jennifer Ann Jalbert and her husband, Jeffrey Dowd, his beloved grandchildren, Samuel Jalbert Dowd, and Eleanor Jalbert Dowd, all of Glastonbury and his three sons: Gregory James, Theodore Paul, and Matthew George all of California. He also leaves his sisters: Lillian Casey of Rocky Hill, Bernice Kenyon of Chatham, MA, Annette Garvey and her husband, Donald, of Wethersfield, and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his sisters, Joan Slattery and Lillian Casey. Born in Hartford on February 8, 1930, George was the son of James G. and Yvonne M. (Bilodeau) Jalbert. He attended St. Augustine's elementary school. He graduated in 1948 from the Bulkeley High School in Hartford. In 1949, he enrolled in the Schillinger House music school (now Berklee College of Music) in Boston. While traveling as the pianist with a big band, the Korean War broke out and he entered the US Army in April, 1951. He served the remainder of his army time in the Second Armored Division at the Foch Kaserne in Bad Krueznach, Germany, until his honorable discharge in April, 1953. Shortly after he left the Army, he joined the "Playmates," a music and comedy trio. In 1954, he left the "Playmates" and entered Central Connecticut State University, where he received his Bachelor's of Science in 1958, and his Master's of Science in 1965. While in college he played with groups backing up many world renowned jazz musicians. Among them were Zoot Sims, Donald Byrd, Oscar Pettiford, JJ Johnson, Melba Liston, Buck Clayton, Bud Freeman, and Vic Dickenson to name a few. George taught public school for ten years. Then, he was an administrator at the Hartford Conservatory. He later worked for the Connecticut Department of Labor and then Department of Public Utility Control. Following his retirement from the State in 1989, he resumed working in the music business. He worked for the Landerman-Jarvis Entertainment Agency, Classical Ensembles, Michel Entertainment, and various other musical groups in the area. He enjoyed his breakfast get-togethers with his musician pals for many years. As he wished, his body was donated to the UConn School of Medicine.
A memorial mass will be held on Wednesday, May 30 at 11 a.m. at St. Paul Church on Main Street in Glastonbury.

Published in The Hartford Courant on May 27, 2012
Read More