- ADVERTISEMENT -

Clifton Eugene Teague(1923-2012)

FRISCO - Funeral Services for Clifton Eugene (Gene) Teague, 89, of Frisco, formally of Sherman and Richardson, will be held at 10 a.m., Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012, at Ted Dickey West Funeral Home, 7990 Geo Bush Turnpike, Dallas. Burial will follow at 2 p.m. at Cedarlawn Memorial Park in Sherman,. Officiating will be Rev. Dr. Clayton Oliphint of First United Methodist Church, Richardson. Family visitation will be at the funeral home from 5 -9 p.m. Friday, Nov. 24, 2012.

Gene passed away on Monday, Nov. 19, 2012, at Prestonwood Rehabilitation Hospital in Plano, after a brief illness.

Gene was born Sept., 26, 1923, in Salado to Clifton C. and Jo Lisenbe Teague. He attended high school in San Augustine. Gene joined the Navy Nov. 10, 1942, during World War II serving on a destroyer escort in the Atlantic and Pacific fronts as an electrician's mate and motion picture technician. While in the service, Gene received the World War II Victory Medal, American Theater Medal with one star, the European Theater Medal and the Good Conduct Medal for three years of perfect conduct. Gene was discharged Dec. 7, 1945. He married Estelle (Stella) Hargis on Aug. 14, 1944, in Orange. He was a member of The First United Methodist Church in Richardson,.

Following discharge from the United States Navy, Gene worked as a lineman for Teague & Goodman Construction Company. In 1949, the partnership of C. C. Teague and Son Construction Company was formed which later became Teague Industries. He organized the purchase of Jacques Hole Digger Company of Dallas which became Texoma Enterprises, Inc., later bought by G.W. Murphy, Inc., which is currently Reed Tool Company. He served as manager for 15 months and Board of Directors of G. W. Murphy for five years.

While living in Sherman, Gene was active in the Sherman Jaycees serving as Vice-President. He was a member of the Sherman Kiwanis Club heading the Committee for funding projects. He was the founder of the Kiwanis Club Pancake Breakfast along with the Ford Coin Machine project. These projects are still used today. Gene was co-founder of the Sheriff's Posse of Grayson County, co-founder of Texoma National Bank (now American Bank), and Texoma Savings & Loan serving on the boards of both institutions. He served on the board of The First United Methodist Church in Sherman, Director at Large of The Sherman Chamber of Commerce, and was advisory Director for The Salvation Army serving as Chairman for two years. He was honored by the Salvation Army for his service by the naming their new Chapel, The Gene Teague Memorial Chapel. Gene was the founder of The Texoma Exposition and Live Stock Show serving as President for five years.

Gene was instrumental in securing a long term lease from the U.S. Government to turn Perrin Field into an industrial Park. He served on the Board of the Grayson County Aviation Committee. He was Vice-President of The Texoma Area Boy Scouts of America and also served on The Leadership Committee of Austin College.

Gene and Stella moved to Richardson in 1983. While in Richardson he served as president of The Power-Communication-Contractors Association, was a member of the Richardson Chamber of Commerce serving on the Board of Directors and was Past President. Gene was chosen as Citizen of the Year in 1996 for the city of Richardson. He was a member of the Richardson Rotary Club serving as President and being honored with The Paul Harris Fellow Award. He was also a member of the Board of Directors of The Richardson Symphony.

Gene founded the Texas Chamber of Commerce which is now known as The Texas Association of Business – Texas Chambers of Commerce. He was president of East Texas Chamber of Commerce and served as Chairman of The Sesquicentennial for The East Texas Chamber of Commerce. He was also a Board Member of General Studies at the University of Texas at Dallas.

Gene was a Mason for more than 50 years being a member of the Travis Lodge 117 in Sherman, was a Scottish Rite Mason in Dallas, and Shriner being a member of the Hella Temple in Dallas. He was a long time supporter of the Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas.

Gene was preceded in death by his parents;, C.C and Jo Teague; sister, Dorothy Sharon Teague; his wife of more than 60 years, Stella; daughter, Connie Sharon Borg; grandson, Mathew Gene Harrison; and son-in-law, Joe Max Shelton. He is survived by daughter, Stellagene Shelton of Sherman; daughter and son-in-law, Dianna and Richard Curtis of Plano; sons and daughters-in-law, Mike and Kathi Teague of Plano and Pat and Debbie Teague of Frisco; 14 grandchildren, 20 great grandchildren; and six great-great-grandchildren; sister-in-law and brother-in-law, Bobbie and Orville Todd of Henderson; and numerous cousins, nieces and nephews.

In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to . You may sign the online guest book at www.teddickeywestfuneral.com.

Funeral Home

Ted Dickey West Funeral Home
7990 Geo Bush Turnpike Dallas, TX 75252
(972) 407-6070

Published in The Herald Democrat on Nov. 22, 2012
- ADVERTISEMENT -