Merlin Russell "Boody" Gilbertson

11 entries
  • "Keeping you all in my prayers. I was unable to attend the..."
    - Lynne Gilbertson-Porter
  • "what a wonderful example of a American who took pride in..."
    - Caroline teske
  • "You are now with your siblings and parents and your..."
    - Randi Gilbertson
  • "The Cassidy family was so fortunate to have lived just a..."
  • "So sorry for your loss. He had a wonderful life. It was..."
    - Kathy Nysether
The Guest Book is expired.

Merlin Russell "Boody" Gilbertson Merlin Russell "Boody" Gilbertson, 92, of Lake Stevens, Washington, passed away from pneumonia on May 23, 2015, in Everett, Wa. Boody was born on July 3, 1922 in Richland County, Wisconsin and was the youngest child of Gustave and Alma Gilbertson. He had two sisters, Mabel and Ada, and five brothers, Roy, Leslie, Theron, Grant, and Harold. The family moved to Everett when he was three years old and Boody had many fond memories of growing up in Everett. This was where he was introduced to the world of sports. He and his brothers entertained themselves by playing sandlot baseball and any other sports that the boys around town were playing. After attending Lincoln Elementary School, Boody attended North Junior High School, where he played football, basketball, softball, and tennis. In 1936 he was the Snohomish County singles tennis champion. At Everett High School, Boody played football, baseball, and basketball. He was a starting player on "The Wonder Team of 1940," the basketball team that went undefeated for 29 straight games, winning the state championship. He remained life-long friends with many of his team-mates, and was the last surviving member of this team, which was recently inducted into the Everett Sports Hall of Fame. Boody graduated from Everett High School in 1940 and attended the University of Washington, where he played varsity baseball and basketball. His college career was interrupted by World War II, when he was drafted into the Army. He graduated from Officer Candidate School in 1944 and was stationed in the Philippine Islands. In 1946, he left active duty and returned to the University of Washington. Upon his return, he became captain of the Husky baseball and basketball teams, and played for the Seattle Athletics of the Pacific Coast Professional Basketball League, as well. He graduated from the University of Washington in 1948 with a degree in accounting. Boody married Beverly Pearson in September of 1948 and they moved to Wisconsin, where he played professional basketball for the Sheboygan Redskins of the old National Basketball League. In April of 1949, he and Beverly moved to Mt. Vernon, WA where he played semi-pro baseball for the Mr. Vernon Milkmaids. Boody resigned his contract with the Redskins in June of 1949, giving up professional basketball to begin his career as a Certified Public Accountant in Everett, Washington, where he established a successful CPA business. He and Beverly raised their four children in Everett until moving to Lake Stevens in 1966, where many wonderful family memories were made. He resided there until moving into an adult family home in Bothell in 2013. Sports was an integral part of Boody's life. As an adult he played five years of semi-pro baseball and played on various local basketball pick-up teams. He played on four different teams that beat the Harlem Globetrotters. He played spring and summer baseball and softball for over twenty years. He was in the Everett Quarterback Club for 25 years, and was an avid Husky fan and season ticket holder. He was also a member of the Old Timers Basketball Club. Boody and Beverly enjoyed many years of travel together, and visited many countries. Boody was an avid fisherman, loved to golf, and was very active in the Everett community. He was a long-time member and past-president of the Everett Central Lions Club and the Evergreen Fly Fishing Club. He was a member of the Everett Elks Club, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and served in the National Guard for 21 years. He and Beverly were members of Westminster Presbyterian Church. Boody was preceded in death by his parents, his seven siblings, and his wife, Beverly. They had been married for 65 years. He is survived by his four children, Gayle Gilbertson, Dawn Steinruck (Jim), LeAnne Gilbertson, and Brooks Gilbertson (Gracia). He leaves six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren, with one more expected in July. Beverly sometimes referred to Boody as a "stubborn Norwegian." As true as this was, he was also an honest, hard-working man of integrity, who always enjoyed telling a good joke. He cared deeply for his friends and family, and will be missed. Donations in Boody's honor may be sent to Everett High School Blue and Gold Club, P.O.Box 1194, Everett, WA 98206, or the . There will be a memorial service for Boody on Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 4:00 p.m. at First Baptist Church, 1616 Pacific Avenue, Everett, WA 98201.


Funeral Home
Evergreen Funeral Home and Cemetery
4504 Broadway
Everett, WA 98203
(425) 252-2244
Funeral Home Details
Send Flowers
Published in The Herald (Everett) from June 3 to June 7, 2015
bullet Elks Lodge bullet University of Washington bullet World War II