- ADVERTISEMENT -

Augustus Hamblett

Augustus Charles "Gus" Hamblett, who taught architecture history and architectural design at Texas A&M University for 30 years, died June 15, 2013. He was 73.
Born August 26, 1939, in Lubbock, Texas, Gus was the beloved son of Travis Leon Hamblett and Sally (Richardson) Hamblett. After graduating from Monterrey High School in Lubbock in 1957, he earned his bachelor's degree in architecture from Texas Tech University in 1962. He obtained a graduate degree in architecture history from the University of Virginia.
Gus began his teaching career at Iowa State University and then was recruited to teach at Texas A&M's College of Architecture and Environmental Design in 1970. He taught at Texas A&M until 2000 and retired to Houston the following year.
A leading scholar in his field, Gus' passion for architecture history lead him to research, design and author many works. His numerous contributions include a joint authorship of a five-volume study entitled "Texas Historic Forts." He served on the board for the Texas Historical Commission and was a consulting historian for several organizations, including the U.S. National Parks Service, the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, the Houston County Historical Commission and the Texas State Capitol landscape restoration project.
Gus loved nature, and his hobbies included photography, drawing and painting. A compassionate man, he also volunteered for five years at the Omega House, a home for late-stage AIDS patients.
Gus was preceded in death by his parents and his younger brother Travis (Spunky) Hamblett. He is survived by his life partner of 34 years, Michael Courtney, numerous cousins, and members of Michael's family as well as his cherished dog Annie.
A memorial service will be conducted at 11 a.m. Saturday, June 29, at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, 1805 West Alabama Street. Church visitation will begin at 10 a.m.
In lieu of flowers, please consider donating to Houston Hospice, 1905 Holcombe Blvd., Houston, Texas 77030.


Published in Houston Chronicle from June 24 to June 27, 2013
- ADVERTISEMENT -