Lois Olive Judd

  • "I will always remember the kindness and love Aunt Lois..."
    - Karen Oster
  • "sorry for your loss..."
    - earl swetland

Lois Olive (Ivie) Judd
1928 ~ 2013
Lois, an incredibly strong and independent woman, was born in a tent at the confluence of Hells A Roaring Creek and the Gallatin River near the Karst Dude Ranch in Montana on July 30, 1928. She was the second child of Huie Arnold and Olive Wakely Ivie. The depression years required a lot of family moves to available jobs including highway construction, ranch hand and finally settling in Idaho to work for the railroad in 1932. The rats, bats, and rattlesnake adventures with her brothers, Toby and younger brother, Alme didn't diminish Lois's fond memories of living in Catrock, south of Midvale. The tough little country girl didn't enjoy her early school years, and being separated from the boys at recess in 1936 when the family moved to Weiser permanently.
When Lois was 10 years old, her sister, Ella, was born. Though responsible for Ella in much of her free time, Lois enjoyed horses, roller skating, movies and ballgames. In time she met the handsome, bashful, Ernest Dewayne Judd who became her lifelong partner on July 4, 1943. Her family now included Ernie's Dad, and second wife, Joyce; Ernie's Mom and sisters: Hazel, Rosalie, Marilyn, Carol, Bonnie, and brother, Harold. In time Ernie's Mom's new husband, Johnny Sheridan, and Dad Judds and Joyce's daughters, Glenda, Virginia, and Karen were added to the clan for a life time of caring and sharing.
After some time in Glennsferry and on the Oregon side, Lois and Ernie moved to New Meadows, Idaho in 1949. Their oldest child, Linda, born March 31, 1944 in Weiser was five, and son, Ronald Duwaine (Ronnie), born November 14, 1946 in Gooding, was two. The next 16 years Ernie continued his railroad career as the Lead Car Inspector for the Union Pacific Railroad. While in New Meadows, Lois raised their children made bread weekly and kept home canned fruits and vegetables in the cellar. She enjoyed hunting, fishing, and camping with all the family as well. She was very involved in the New Meadows community as a member and officer of PTA, Wildrose Rebecca Lodge, as well as advisor of the young women's Theta Rho. Through the years, she was a part time bookkeeper for Shavers Grocery store and a clerk for City Hall, as well as Deputy Sheriff in charge of Drivers Licensing. She supervised and coordinated the Meadows Valley Riding Club for young riders. They performed drills in area rodeos. She also helped start the adult dance club.
In 1965 both kids had graduated from high school and Ernie took a U.P.Railroad position in Nampa, Idaho, and worked night shifts again and was away a lot supervising and investigating train wrecks throughout the region. Lois worked several jobs there: at Meridian Wood, a window manufacturing factory, and at Simplots's processing plant over the next 10 years. She tried to take the summers off to enjoy family time at Cascade Lake property out of Donnelly, Idaho. She liked and grew beautiful flowers and had special Irises, gladiolas, and roses. Summer time she would go motor cycling and rock collecting around the Owyhees with her brother, Toby. She and Ernie mad beautiful resin table tops and other items with cut and polished rocks found, and from the quarries where Toby worked. She worked with the mental and physically disabled at the Nampa State School for several years as a volunteer. She also took classes and started painting in oils and acrylics, creating many wonderful pictures.
During the 4 years following Ernie's transfer to Seattle, Washington, Lois played tennis and walked with Kent friends between rain showers and caring for her Dad following the death of her Mom. Ernie's job took them to Hermiston, Oregon in 1979, where Lois had another beautiful yard with hybrid roses and flower gardens. She joined the Lady Elks Emblem Club and became president and was involved with many community activities. She even took a wood shop class and made a stereo stand.
Nine months after Ernie's retirement from the UPRR in 1984, he took another railroad job with the Alaskan Railroad. Lois volunteered in the Juvenile Court system, explored Alaska and dodged several moose near their Anchorage apartment. Here Lois was diagnosed with and began treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Ernie and Lois sold their Hermiston home and returned to Weiser, Idaho in 1989 to retire once again and look after Ernie's mother, Pearl Reitz. Though plagued with several types of arthritis, shingles, and increasing discomfort, Lois worked and volunteered at the Weiser Senior Center as the activity director. She was part of a pinochle and performing 'Boot Scootin' Boogie' group. She was chairman of the Fiddlers Week breakfasts and lunches several years. People loved her potato salad!
After surviving hospitalization in February, 2008, Lois was brought home for Hospice Care with full bed care provided by Ernie 24-7 and Hospice. Ernie's own arthritis and health problems required him to move Lois to the full care facility, Weiser Cottages, May 28, 2010. The family wishes to thank all the staff at the Cottages for their wonderful care and friendship.
Lois will always be loved and remembered for her courage and example. She always pushed on to do what needed to be done. We are grateful for all the remembered birthdays and organized family gatherings. We have been blessed to have had her as part of our lives, and will miss her always.
Survived by: Husband, Ernie Judd; daughter, Linda Cannon and husband Rich; son, Ron Judd and wife Tootie; granddaughters: Diane Cain and husband, Ron; Darla Douglass and husband, Lanzce; Meagan Almaraz and husband, Isaac; grandsons: Mark Spellmen and wife, Theresa; Ronny Judd and wife, Tabitha; great granddaughters: Cassi and Morgan Cain; Cloe and Delaney Spellmen; Addison Douglass; great grandsons: Kadin Judd; Marshal Judd; sister Ella Wenrich and husband, Otis; sister-in-laws: Rosalie Nelson; Carol Ortega; Bonnie McMullen; Bess Judd; and many nieces and nephews.
Lois's wishes were to have no services; but we will remember her always in our minds and hearts.

Published in Idaho Statesman from Oct. 30 to Nov. 1, 2013