Glenn W. Irwin, Jr., M.D.
FORMER DEAN OF THE IU SCHOOL OF MEDICINE AND CHANCELLOR OF IUPUI DIES.
92, died on August 23, 2012. His parents were Glenn W. and Elsie Browning Irwin of Roachdale, Indiana. He attended Indiana University where he received a BS degree in 1942 and a MD degree in 1944. He married Marianna Ashby in 1943 who died in 2010.
Survivors include two daughters, Ann (Dr. John) Warden, Beth (Gary) Schiffli, and son, William (Katrina) Irwin. Also surviving are seven grandchildren and five great grandchildren, Andrew (Joanna) Warden, their children Emily and Henry, Amy (Josh) Rogers, Ben Warden, Alexander Irwin, Amanda Irwin, Dr. Evan (Meghan) Schiffli, their children Olivia and Lewis, and Sarah (Daniel) Archer and their child, Hayley.
Dr. Irwin interned at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis and completed a residency in Internal Medicine at I.U. In 1946-48 he served in the US Army Medical Corps at Schofield Barracks General Hospital in Hawaii as a Captain and Chief of Medicine. He returned to IU, finished his residency and then joined the department of medicine as an Instructor in Medicine in 1950.
He progressed through the ranks and in 1965 was appointed Dean of the IU School of Medicine. During his tenure the IU Hospital was built and a second phase was under construction, a major addition to the Riley Hospital was completed, the Indiana statewide medical education system was enacted, a major change in the curriculum was adopted, and a new faculty clinical fee plan was produced. There were many faculty positions added both in Indianapolis and at the seven state medical education centers.
In 1973 he was appointed Chancellor of IUPUI. The following year, a reorganization of the university changed his position to Vice President of Indiana University (Indianapolis). During his administration numerous campus buildings were built, including schools of science, business, SPEA, education, social work, physical education, including the natatorium, stadium and track. Also several parking garages and graduate apartments were constructed. Several medical school buildings were added. At the end of his tenure the IUPUI student enrollment was over 23,000. There were substantial increases in total budget, research income, number of degrees, number of full time faculty and number of graduates. His wife, Marianna and he had the pleasure to help direct a major renovation of the chancellor's residence given to the university by Mr. Eli Lilly.
After his retirement in 1986, he was provided an office at the medical school. He belonged to numerous fund raising committees, including those for the the School of Medicine, IUPUI, the School of Nursing, Riley Children's Foundation, and Wishard Health Foundation. During this time, he and his wife enjoyed trips abroad with their children and summer time spent at Lake Wawasee.
A partial list of his many board memberships include Eiteljorg Museum, Greater Indianapolis Progress Committee, Riley Children Foundation, Skyline Club, Walther Medical Research Institute and YMCA. He had been a member of the American College of Physicians, Columbia Club, Meridian Hills Country Club, Rotary Club. Contemporary Club, Indiana Society of Chicago, Mason-33 Degree, and a Second Presbyterian Church Elder.
Some of his honors included AOA, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing, Sagamore of the Wabash (3 Governors), Indiana Academy, Lifetime Achievement, Indiana Council of Fund Raising Executives, Distinguished Alumni Service Award, Indiana University, Honorary Doctoral Degrees from IU and Marian University.
Funeral arrangements are as follows: Calling from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, August 29, 2012 at Second Presbyterian Church, 7700 N. Meridian St. Indianapolis, IN 46260. Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Thursday, August 30, 2012 at Second Presbyterian Church, with calling one hour prior (Noon until 1:00 p.m.) Burial will follow in Crown Hill Cemetery.
Memorial gifts may be made to the Glenn and Marianna Irwin Scholarship at the Indiana University School of Medicine. Please make checks payable to "IU Foundation-Irwin Scholarship" and mail to IU School of Medicine, c/o IU Foundation, PO Box 660245, Indianapolis, IN 46266-0245.
Arrangements were entrusted to Crown Hill Funeral Home.