ELMER JR. "SLIM" JOHNSON
May 28, 1925 - June 8, 2013
Elmer Jr. "Slim" Johnson, went to be with our Lord in heaven on June 8, 2013.
Slim was born May, 28, 1925 in Hurley, Missouri, to Elmer W. and Lula Edith Johnson.
Slim is survived by his wonderful wife of 65 years, Anna May; their son and daughter-in-law, Ray and Molly Johnson; granddaughters and their husbands, Carly and Roy Schaffner, Robin and Colby Cartee, Emily and Scott Hawkins, and Christen and Robert Rivas; great-grandchil- dren Emil and Lucas Schaffner, Dylan, Benjamin and Talon Cartee, and Grace Hawkins.
He is also survived by sisters Faye Graves and Virginia Bossom, and sister-in-law Sandra Johnson; as well as numerous nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his brothers, Gene, Floyd and Jesse Johnson; sister, Goldie Robertson and baby sisters, Geraldine and Natalie.
Slim worked in farming and trucking until he retired from Ryerson Concrete. Slim was a very active and dedicated member of the Mounted Sheriff's Posse of Imperial County for 50 years, serving as President of the organization in 1990. He received a distinguished award from the Imperial County Sheriff's Department for 45 years of service in the Posse. He spent countless hours on horseback serving the community on Fair Patrol, and Desert Search and Rescues. He loved riding in parades, helping with gymkhanas and kids' rides, and the camaraderie of fellow horsemen.
Team roping and team penning were hobbies he enjoyed with his son, wife, and even granddaughters. He also loved attending nearly every performance of the NFR in Las Vegas for over 20 years.
Slim was a cowboy at heart with an enormous passion for horses. He will be remembered as a loving family man who showed great devotion to his children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and friends.
Slim faithfully attended Cornerstone Community Church in Holtville where we will be holding a Celebration of Life service on Friday, June 14 at 10 a.m. Lunch will be served immediately following the service in the church fellowship hall. The church is located at 125 E. 6 St., in Holtville.