Charles E "Chuck" McLeod (1925 - 2013)

12 entries
  • "To the Mcleod family,my sincere condolences.Charlie and..."
  • "Charlie,my condolences to you and your family,I remember..."
  • - Lana Savikko Francis
  • "Jeannette and family, I was sorry to read of the passing of..."
    - Sandy Adams
  • "Jeanette, Charlene and Charles: Chuck was a great man and..."
    - Gordon Taylor
The Guest Book is expired.

Charles E. McLeod was born in Glasgow, Scotland, September 19, 1925, to Charles McLeod and Mary Hartley. His father returned earlier in the year to Alaska. His mother followed when Charles was nine months old. They were met by his father in Juneau and ferried to Point Retreat in a small boat named HONEST CHARLEY. Charles spent his first years at Point Retreat. Due to an injury on his left leg at Point Retreat he spent several years in the Children's Orthopedic Hospital in Seattle, WA where the doctors operated on both legs to impede an uneven growth. When he returned to Alaska the family moved to Chichagof Mining Camp where his stepfather and uncle worked the mine.
Later the family lived in Juneau until they bought property at Fish Creek on Douglas Island and a troller. Charles, his stepfather and others living in the area felled the lumber and built the original one room schoolhouse. Charles attended Fish Creek School to the eighth grade and then attended Juneau High School.
He had started fishing with his stepfather at an early age before he even attended school. He learned to love boats, fishing, being on the water of Alaska. In winters he earned money to provide for the family by selling three newspapers on South Franklin St. and the AJ mine. The miners had the best food in town and lots of it. Especially pies during those depression years. He dug and sold clams, caught salmon and canned kippered salmon which he sold to local restaurants as well as providing to many of Juneau's elderly and poor.
He was an exceptional sportsman, hunter and fisherman and kept all of his family supplied during the lean years with fresh game, large and small, and fish of all varieties. He owned his own troller at an early age and trolled for salmon. He enjoyed berry picking and canning fresh berries whole or as jam or jelly. He worked for several years during the off season from fishing as pile buck and skipper for J.V. Cole and ran Herring Pot at Indian Cove. He charted trips for fishing and transporting pilots to commercial ships to be guided through the inside waters in all weather. He enjoyed taking friends and family in the SALMON DERBY. He and his wife always were among top ten winners of the derbies they entered.
He was Float Chief at Alaska Coastal Airlines and traveled with many of the original old time pilots for the airlines. After he lost his second boat he was hired at Fish and Game as Vessels Boat Captain which he served twenty years until his retirement. He transported biologists, cargo and relocated wildlife to various ports in all of Alaska not just southeast Alaska aboard the R/V KITTIWAKE. Charles covered the waters of Alaska from Seattle to the Bering Sea. He brought the R/V STELLAR and R/V RESOLUTION to Juneau from Seattle for Fish and Game. He participated in the sea otter haverest in northern Alaska and assisted in the skinning process 1967. He has been mentioned in many printed autobiographies of living in Alaska and several magazines such as the Alaska Sportsman and U.S.C.G. BEAR and reefed to as an expert on Alaska lighthouses and their tenders. He still enjoyed sport fishing, tying flys and trout fish after he retired. He treated friends to his recipe of pickled salmon, herring egg salad and shared his recipes.
Charles and Jeannette Doucette were married on Juneau 11, 1949, at Church of The Navity in Juneau, Alaska and celebrated 64 years of marriage. Charles died at Juneau Pioneer's Home April 20, 2013. His beloved and devoted wife at his side and friends. He was 87 after "A good life but a tough one" to quote him.
He was preceded in death by his father, stepfather, mother, sister and stepbrother, an aunt, uncle and cousin in Sitka. He is survived by his wife and son and many relatives and friends throughout Alaska and other states.
Interment will be at a later date and reception to be announced.
Published in The Juneau Empire on May 14, 2013