Nicandro Abella Saceda (1946 - 2011)

12 entries
  • "Dad, please watch over Myra during this difficult time..."
    - Ritchie Saceda
  • "Thanks for sharing your smile with the world, Nick! God..."
    - Bell Moore
  • "Auntie Dialang, Cousin's Nickie and Ritchie, condolences..."
    - Mark C. Giblin
  • "I am so sorry to hear of Nick's passing. I have wonderful..."
    - Vickie Boone
  • "We miss you GRANDPA! You are going to be in me and Pedrin's..."
    - Maxie and Pedrin Saceda-Hurt
The Guest Book is expired.

Nicandro Abella Saceda was born in Cebu City, Philippines on June 17, 1946, to Pedro and Maximina Saceda. He died on September 19, 2011, and laid to rest on September 26, 2011. As a child growing up in the Philippines, his favorite past times were playing baseball, cycling and basketball. In fact, he and his brother, Quintin, were part of the three time defending champions, the Green Horns.

Nick graduated from the Cebu Institute of Technology with a B.S. in Commerce. In 1971, he married his best friend's baby sister, Gethsemane (Dailang) Llanto, and moved to the United States a year later. His first job was a bus boy at the Baranof Hotel, until he was hired with the State of Alaska in April 1973. He also enlisted in the National Guard in 1974.

In 1973 and 1975, Nick became a proud father to daughters, Nickie and Ritchie.

Throughout his life, Nick enjoyed the outdoors. He was a hunter and fisherman. He was involved with the Filipino Community as a board member and as the coach of the basketball team. He also played softball for many years until he retired in the mid 1990s. Nick was a family man and worked hard to provide for his family.

In 2003, Nick retired from the State of Alaska, Department of Revenue, and in 2006, retired from the National Guard after 32 years of service. His new job was being a grandfather to his five grandchildren; Maximina, Rubie, Evie, Pedrin and Lucien. As a retiree, he was affiliated with the Fil-Am Association and the Filipino Community, Inc., traveled to the Philippines and Oregon, watched football, attended mass at St. Paul's, and spent time with his wife, kids and grandchildren.

Nick is survived by his wife of 40 years, Dailang, and his daughters Nickie Saceda-Hurt (Frank Hurt) and Ritchie Saceda Morrissette (Tracy Morrissette); grandchildren, Maximina and Pedrin Saceda-Hurt, and Rubie, Evie, Lucien Saceda Morrissette; siblings, Alfonsa, Severino, Quintin Saceda and Paz Speer; his mother-in-law, Dionisia Llanto and brother-in-law, Michael Llanto; and many other family members in the United States and Philippines. He is proceeded in death by his parents, Pedro and Maximina Saceda; siblings, Lucindo, Pablo, Edelberto Saceda, and Gregoria Jenkins.

The family would like to thank the community for all their support, donations, thoughts and prayers, St. Paul's Catholic Church, and Father Pat Travers. The family extends a personal thank you to pallbearers and fellow service men, LTC Fred Thorsteinson, LTC Duff Mitchell, SFC Morris Carrillo, SGT William Carrillo, SGT Mauricio Yadao, and SGT Rene Abella. The family also expresses special appreciation to SFC Morris Carrillo in his efforts for organizing a military funeral from the US Army Funeral Honors Team from Fort Richardson, AK. Lastly, a thank you to the family and friends who participated and shared their graces in the nine days Novena prayer.
Published in The Juneau Empire from Oct. 7 to Oct. 14, 2011
bullet U.S. Army