FAIRBANKS, Marjorie Freeman Entered eternity on May 4, 2010. She was born in Houston, Texas on August 27, 1921, the daughter of Marjorie and William Freeman. After schooling in Houston, she attended a session at Denver University. Afterwards, she accepted a scholarship to a drama academy in Hollywood. Baptized an Episcopalian, she converted to Catholicism in 1941. During World War II, Marjorie contributed to the war effort and became a secretary at Army Ordnance Headquarters in Los Angeles and then with the Armed Forces Radio Services. On December 24, 1950, at St. Martin of Tours Catholic Church, she married motion picture producer, Jerry (Gerald Bertram) Fairbanks. In addition to assisting her husband with his motion picture activities, she volunteered for the Red Cross, Children's Hospital, St. Vincent Medical Center, and St. John Medical Center, chairing various activities. She was dedicated to the Daughters of Charity at St. Vincent de Paul, and during her 1963-1965 presidency of the Ladies of Charity, inaugurated the St. Louise de Marillac Annual Luncheon, with eminent guests of honor, including a rare 1973 appearance of Blessed Mother Teresa. In 1978, as president of the Los Angeles Orphanage Guild, she focused her efforts on Maryvale. Her other community interest was life membership in the Sister Servants of Mary Guild. In 1983, the Fairbanks retired to Santa Barbara.
The Guest Book is expired.
In 1995, she was preceded in death by her husband of 45 years. She is survived by step grandchildren, their families, and two goddaughters. They and her treasured friends through the years have her eternal love. May she rest in peaceful devotion to Christ's Incarnation through the blessing of His Holy Mother. Msgr. Francis Weber will celebrate the Mass of the Resurrection and burial at Holy Cross Cemetery, 5835 Slauson Ave., Culver City, on May 20th at noon.
Published in the Los Angeles Times on May 18, 2010