Mildred Marshall

Mildred Jones-Marshall, 92, left her family and friends on Feb. 17, 2013. She was born Mildred Frances Jacobs on Oct. 11, 1920 in Powersville, Putnam, Mo. to Fred D. Jacobs and Ruth Ralston Jacobs. Mildred is survived by her brother, William "Bill" Jacobs, of Raleigh, N.C.; sister, Margaret Villa of Williamsburg, Va.; granddaughter, Megan F. Jones Larson (Jason) of Albuquerque, N.M.; stepdaughter, Marilyn Ziebell (Mark) of Yelm, Wash.; grandchildren, Clinton Coffelt (Cory), Brian Coffelt (Tina), Eric Coffelt (Tammy); Audree Juhlin (Terry) of Sedona, Ariz., Eydie Freewald, Edward Bruce Pierce, and William Edward Pierce of Roy; stepson, Allen Pierce (Penny) of E. Sandwich, Mass. and grandchildren, Bradford and Jennifer Pierce; stepson, William "Bill" Marshall (Cathy) of Battleground, Wash.; many step-great-grandchildren; cherished nieces and nephews; daughters-in-law, June Pierce of Roy, and Bonnie Elaine Jones Ennis (John) of Las Cruces, N.M.,; and dear friends Rey and Dolores Molinar. Mildred was preceded in death by her parents, Fred and Ruth Jacobs; Hobart Jones; son, Lee Roy Jones; son, Larry D. Jones; Franklin D. Pierce; Thomas F. Marshall; stepson, Edward L. Pierce; brother, Glen D. Jacobs; sister, Mary M. Hartford and brother, George D. Jacobs. Mildred was the oldest of six surviving children and a child of the Great Depression. She started working at the age of 11 in the home of a family friend, thus helped the family by being one less mouth to feed and clothe. The family moved to Unionville, Mo. and she graduated from Unionville High School in 1939. Mildred worked for the draft board until her marriage to Hobart L. Jones on July 4, 1942 when they moved to Chicago, Ill., where he worked at Motorola Corporation. Hobart joined the Army Signal Corps during World War II and Mildred lived in Unionville and in Prince George, Canada where Hobart was stationed. Their first child, Lee Roy, was born August 1944 and died in Seattle, Wash. of spinal meningitis at age 13 months, the day that Hobart was discharged from the Army. Hobart and Mildred lived in Unionville with their second child, Larry, where they had a radio repair shop until Hobart's poor health required them to move to a drier climate. They were on the way to Tucson when they stopped in Las Cruces for the night. Hobart asked some men at a café if anyone was hiring electronics personnel and was told White Sands Missile Range had openings. He was hired immediately and the family settled in to stay. Hobart died in September 1960. Mildred married Franklin D. Pierce in 1962 and they were married 19 years until his death in 1978. The whole family loved to fish, go boating and hunting. She married Thomas Marshall in 1996 and they traveled extensively in their RV until his illness and death in 2001. Mildred became an active member of the Miriam Rebekah's Lodge No. 25 of the I.O.O.F. of New Mexico in 1963 and participated for many years, serving as the1975-1976 district deputy president and Past Noble Grand for Lodge No. 25, page and personal secretary to the New Mexico Noble Grand. She loved to play cards, travel, listen to music and was a regular attendee at the Munson Senior Center's Saturday night dances for many years. Mildred has been cremated and buried with Hobart in Hillcrest Memorial Garden Cemetery, Fairacres, NM. A memorial celebration of her life will be held at La Paz Graham's Funeral Home, 555 W Amador Ave., Las Cruces, NM on March 16, 2013 to begin at 1 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family requests contributions to the Mesilla Valley Hospice, 299 E Montana, Las Cruces, NM 88005, or the in Mildred's name. To send condolences, go to

Published in Las Cruces Sun-News on Feb. 26, 2013